YZ450f fuel pump

So i just bought a 2010 yz450f. It had been sitting in a garage for almost a year and a half untouched. Looks flawless. It ran perfectly before it was garaged. sprayed starter fluid in it and it fired up just fine, but when you start to give it throttle it bogs and dies. This ruled out park plug. Checked all connections. Gone thru just about everything and narrowed it down to the fuel pump. took another fuel tank off a working 2010 and hooked it up. Fired right up and was ready to rail. After that we could rule out injectors and ecu/ electrical issues. So I assumed easy fix. Hopped on amazon and bought a caltric fuel pump for 20 bucks. Pulled the puel pump out. after 30 minutes of prying and plugging in the new cables and hoses. got her back together. once again it doesnt seem like i'm getting any type of fuel delivery whatsoever. does the exact same start and bog. Once you give throttle it just dies. one thing i noticed was weird is when i disconnected the fuel hose from the spount on the bottome of the fuel tank fuel was actually coming out on its own. I could be wrong but i thought since it has that fuel pump inside of the tank no fuel should come out unless the pump is running (may need to reinstall, everything was so simple I'm not really sure how i could have even installed it wrong unless i have another faulty fuel pump). Ok this is all the info i have at this point. If anyone has a clue or has changed one of these fuel pumps please let me know what you think.

Gas should not pour out when the fuel line quick connect when removed from your pump. Dribble yes but not a steady flow.

Did you buy the filter kit off eBay? (Chinese rebuild)

If you have gauges your fuel pressure should be 50 psi but anything close is ok.

Since the donor tank worked it is the fuel pump, better to bite the bullet and buy the oem one

Edited by billygildark5007

Ya i changed the filter as well. It was a caloric pump I got off Amazon. No bad reviews that I saw. I know they have them on ebay as well. I'm about to rip it back apart. I'm hoping I just got a bad fuel pump. And it's not some other part. And btw the oem part is 450 dollars so that is a bullet I'm not trying to bite. When my assembly appears to be in perfect condition.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...