Sign in to follow this  

$100 restore/rebuild project

Sunday night i picked up a 1996 YZ250 for $100! It's a bit rough but has potential. The frame, forks, and swing arm all seem to be in good shape and just need some TLC. Everything else pretty much needs to be replaced or rebuilt. I plan to strip it down to the frame this weekend so I can sandblast and repaint the frame, then add parts back on as I rebuild them or get replacements. I'll save the engine for last so that once it's purring the rest will be ready to ride. This will be the first time I've gone this deep into a dirt bike so I'm sure there will be plenty of questions to come. Any tips, tricks and advice is more than welcomed! I only have these two pictures so far but I'll get more this weekend as I dive into it.

Ihttp://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h272/13mwz/yz250-2_zps36ayv3kk.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h272/13mwz/yz250-1_zpsnsei2dd4.jpg

Got the plastics off to get a better look at things. Need to blast and paint the frame for sure, seems to only be surface rust. All rubber is dry rotted and cracked, wiring looks good besides the cut off switch (it was rigged), couple missing spokes, the chain and sprockets are rusted together. I can't even find the master link. Rear axle is loose but adjustment screws are rusted in place. Gotta get cleaned up for work but have it all soaking in wd40.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1446578672.818139.jpg

I got lucky and just stumbled on it. Wasn't even looking for one. I was expecting much worse for the price.

Good job to try to save one.

I would STRONGLY suggest that you start with the engine and after it is complete, work on the other stuff. Many rebuilds have been put on hold or canceled when engine problems are finally noticed after way too much time and money was spent on the easy stuff (plastic and other stuff).

• Like 4

I did a very intensive build on a 96 Yz250. The thing was a monster by the time I was done. I loved that bike! They are very capable and very fun. The 96 had a very 125 like powerband. Very weak bottom end, and OK mid range but had a massive top end. I posted some very good results in 250B on that bike while I had it. I rode it more than my 08 because it was so much fun to ride.

This is what it looked like when I got it. 

67113_10150101772707559_2633745_n_zpsdbd

It transformed into this

557403_10151173820212559_2119334243_n_zp

199712_10151173831302559_957789767_n_zps

998541_10151737726712559_1024378549_n_zp

12531_10151737726587559_826411073_n_zps9

Unfortunately most of the pics are gone, but there is still lots of good info in there. So here is my build thread.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/930109-96-250-rebuild-part-2-pic-heavy/?hl=96%20yz%20250%20build

I also have some spare parts laying around for that bike. I'm not sure what I have but if you need anything be sure to let me know. 

Edited by BDubb106
  • Like 1

When you get time see what you got, we can work something out I'm sure. Im going to need a lot. I'll check out your thread, thanks.

Will do... I will check tomorrow as I will be wrenching on the 450 tomorrow to get it ready for this weekend so I will be in the shop anyways.

You will have fun with this build. It will be challenging but that is part of the fun of it. There are a lot of directions you can go with it, and you can make it a cheap build if you want to. It was probably the most fun build I have ever done, and I have built quite a few bikes. 

Edited by BDubb106

Great, thank you!

So after work tonight I spent a couple hours working on the bike. I'm still waiting for my service manual to get in so be prepared for a couple stupid questions.

I finaly found the chain's master link hiding behind the lower chain guard. After getting the chain off I noticed these marks on the case. I'm assuming it's from running the chain too loose?

D1C910A8-3A0D-434C-B9DA-D84A1D3C2469_zps

And then I noticed this. Shouldnt there be something holding the axle forward? It's the same on both sides. (aka stupid question #1)

F8283739-C5DE-4ED5-B3F7-6B427D5CBA30_zps

I then removed the eye soar of an "exhaust" system. This is some of the worst welding I've ever seen!

E641333F-4D87-482D-82A6-6B8990001DBC_zps

Then I removed the subframe. After thinking about it today I decided to follow yall's advice and work on the engine first. I removed the carb and reeds then the radiators. Here's what the underside of the head and top of the piston looks like.

3B762211-8639-4F89-922A-0AE58DACAB73_zps

70FF5FC0-CBE7-4B13-B8C4-2A0B53A538A0_zps

Before pulling the cylinder off I wanted to take a quick peak inside the exhaust port. I was 99% sure the top end would need work....

40135F78-BAFB-427A-902C-A026F032413F_zps

I went ahead and pulled off the cylinder after disconnecting the power valve. Well, I TRIED to pull it off. The engine is locked up at TDC so I couldnt get the cylinder to clear the piston. Here's what I found.

3892C4FC-1DCC-40BC-84E0-4252048B8F14_zps

2931ECB1-A850-48C1-BB4A-4579EC0D9018_zps

352C7BDB-C5CA-4E08-8874-9B576CB9E0F6_zps

4A0E1912-7545-4A0C-9024-2D99C1AAA6E9_zps

I rememberd reading people talking about feeling for slack in the crankshaft. I tried moving it around by the connecting rod, there is a little play in the connecting rod but the crankshaft didnt budge. I was hoping that after pulling the cylinder up I'd be able to turn over the engine, but those hopes were squashed. Looks like this weekend I'll be pulling the whole engine out and cracking the cases open. So for now I put it to bed until Saturday.

903A1BE9-72F2-4BBC-B063-F0A4CCBBDE3C_zps

So are yall able to tell me anything about possible issues from the pictures? All I know about the history of this bike is that it locked up then sat for 1-2 years. Looks like somebody tried real hard to either put it in gear or take it out, the shifter is busted off as you can see in the first picture.

Judging from the lousy welding work on the exhaust, rigged wiring on the shut off switch and various other "rigged" repairs I'd say the previous owner was about 12 steps below a shade tree mechanic. Oh and the best "repair".....check out this super custom air filter!

9B030C84-A3E5-4EA9-85A3-023519D256C7_zps

Yup, that's a car air filter cut in half!!

59FA91E7-3918-4BA1-A62E-05DC5F29F539_zps

Oh the things people do.

Now for stupid question #2. When I remove the engine mount on the back, will that also release the swing arm? I'm going to be removing it anyway but didnt want to until I removed the forks aswell, and I'm not super clear on just how to do that yet.

Sorry for all the pictures and all, but any advice, insight and suggestions is more that welcomed.

Edited by SGTGunner

You are one brave dude to take on that project. That is by far the most neglected pile of junk I've ever seen! What the hell was the guy thinking with that air filter!?! As for the rear axle, that is normal. You use the adjuster bolts in the swing arm to set both sides evenly, and the torque of the axle nut holds it in place after you tighten it.

Best of luck, you are gonna need it!

I'd suggest a bolt kit or 10 and I hope you have a blasting cabinet.

Tear the engine down, clean up the cases with aluminium cleaning acid, or blast them. I'd replace all the bearings, I'd buy a hotrods crank and of course a full gasket set (make sure it has all oil seals). Also a top end, but thats a given in this case....

Hopefully there is no gearbox damage.

Crank, cylinders and main bearings are your big $$$ items from my own experience. Then depending on the bike gearbox parts and power valves can add up too.

Edited by BushPig

Rub marks are from not running a front chain/ sprocket guard. 

Head looks good and piston wash is near perfect. Whoever had the bike has it jetted really well, and they ran decent fuel. That looks like it is about the only good at this point. 

Head deck needs to be cleaned up, it is a mess. However all that takes is a little elbow grease. 

Cylinder needs a replate... It is obvious that your motor sucked some dirt through it.

Buy a $200 Hotrods crank and be done with it. They are really good.

The air filter... what a mess. 

Question #2, yes the swingarm will release when you remove the pivot bolt. 

As BushPig recommended. A complete bolt kit is going to be your friend on this project. 

NOW FOR THE GOOD NEWS.

So far it looks like you are only into this bike about $600. You are looking at $500 for a total engine rebuild. Hopefully the tranny is in one piece and salvageable. Good news is parts are plentiful on eBay. Mine was in much worse condition when I got it. At least you have a complete bike. 

Edited by BDubb106
  • Like 1