Sign in to follow this  

07 crf150f street worthy?

Hi guys, well very soon the snow will hit the ground at my place and the bikes will be back in the garage over the winter. What crossed my mind was if I should make my 150 street worthy and drive it in the spring to school and work. Having it speed worthy for road use, could I get away with bigger sprockets? ( front and back) or if anyone has experience know that it might not be enough. If I go through with this I'm Going to look into a light kit of course. From anyone's experience any stock electrics have to be changed? Is it a bike challenge? Thanks for your help!

I was also wondering what the process was for wiring lights on a 150f . Mines an 03 , so no e start.

I was also wondering what the process was for wiring lights on a 150f . Mines an 03 , so no e start.

It's just like any other bike with no lighting circuit.  You need to either send you stator off to be rewound with a lighting circuit or buy one with the circuit in it.  The big three companies are Baja Designs, Trail Tech, and Ricky Stator.  Your search string would be "lighting stator."

Once you add that, you need to decide whether you want a voltage regulator (AC output) or a Rectifier (DC output).  Really, the big difference is if you're going to run a battery or not.  Adding a battery requires a rectifier so that you can send DC voltage to the battery to charge it.  It also adds some complexity as you need to find a place to mount it.  I'd imagine that the easiest way would be to find a later model 150F or 230F battery box/airbox and use it.  If you don't need a battery, you can use a voltage regulator instead which simply keeps the output of the stator within certain levels for powering the light.  Yes, the light will work fine on AC voltage.  Don't let that confuse you. 

I ended up going through this on my 100R and will soon be doing it on my 230F.  The 230F is a no brainer since I've already got a battery but on the 100R, I went with a battery because I didn't want to enter into a rough section at night, hit the brakes, kill the engine, and lose all my light or at the very least, have the light dim as the engine went to an idle.

Here's the post on my XR100 lights.  I've since swapped out the 8" halogens for 7" LEDs.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1118072-added-lights-to-the-xr100/

Thanks alot ! I would do it with the battery , why do it at all if it's not right!? But yeah I am just gonna use alot of 230 parts . The help is appreciated. Will hopefully get this and the clutch iron proof over the winter rebuild

Also once you have the headlight in I assume the turn signals are easy . I imagine the brake / tailight is the hardest??

My guess is that the signals would be more difficult.  For the rear, I'd just go buy one of those universal rear lighting setups like Tusk has.  Example:
https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/1156/25859/Tusk-L.E.D.-TailLight-Brake-Light-Under-Fender

It's not my favorite, but it'd work.  For signals, I'd likely pay the money for the Baja Designs front light/signal setup with the switch.  But if you're going to do that, you might as well buy the whole BD setup. 

I plan to get my 230 street legal but I don't need signals and so I don't intend to install them.  Honestly, I plan on rigging up a seriously Micky Mouse set up just to get me through the inspection.  At that point it'll all come off and I'll have a simple tail/brake light and a pair of offroad lights on the front.  The plate will be bolted to the rear fender.  I don't plan to ride at night on the streets and my desire for a plate is to simply get to and from the desert easier and make crossing roads less of watching for cops and more of watching for people trying to kill me.

Haha same here . I'm not sure if I'd need signals either . It would just be nice . Always cops in my neighborhood it's like playing cat and mouse trying to get to the trails. Unless I say f it and just walk my bike the 1/4 mile. But who wants to do that ?!

Unless I say f it and just walk my bike the 1/4 mile. But who wants to do that ?!

Get a skateboard, start the bike, and put it in gear.  Stand beside the bike on the skateboard and gently let out the clutch until you're idling along.  If the LEO gets a little too interested, hit the kill button and continue to roll. :)

Will a 150 go fast enough to be a useful street bike? While I don't have a speedo on my 230, it seems pretty wound out on the streets. I'd be amazed if it does more than 40 MPH comfortably. I do not like running engines at close to full RPM in high gear for more than a minute or two (unless its a race bike that you are rebuilding constantly).

Plus, I found out when I got lost going from Gilbert to Man on the Hatfield-McCoy system that the seat on my 230 feels like a 2x4 after about 20 minutes.

• Like 1

I currently own a plated 150F and a 230F. I used the Baja Designs light kits on both, The kits are easy to install but are a little pricy. (over $400 each). The 150F is ok for city streets, but keep it off the highway. It's tapped out at around 50 mph with stock gearing. Also, the knobby tires are a little sketchy on asphalt but trials tires work for a decent compromise. I like the dual sport capability of my bikes. I can now use the roads to get to more trails. Check the laws in your state to determine if it is possible to plate your bike first.

+ 1 on Baja Designs, mine works perfectly and has been bullet proof. Installs easy, all parts are included and complete with legible instructions.

IMO:

There are other ways too do it but probably not as easily.

• Like 1

..................... that the seat on my 230 feels like a 2x4 after about 20 minutes.

Try a 2 hour scramble....talk about a case of Monkey-Butt

where did those lovely big padded seats go...and why ?

Try a 2 hour scramble....talk about a case of Monkey-Butt

For some reason, I can trail ride it for a couple of hours without problem. Probably because I have to stand up over rough spots, move forward going up hill, etc. While droning along on the highway, there is no letup.

I have soft compound knobbies on my 230F, and yes, on the highway, they are wonky and more than a little bit squirrelly. The brakes work OK for gentle street riding, but the seat.....