Sign in to follow this  

Removing Bearings from Case (200exc)

Well I got myself into a pickle and I cant quite figure out how to get the bearing race out of this KTM 200 case. I didn't see the trick with the washer to remove the roller bearing, and damaged the plastic clip too bad to re-use so I can't put the roller bearings back into the bearing race.

Any tricks to get this race out? I have access to a press I just can't figure how to press it out through the small hole in the case.

IMAG1222_zpsl4pp4vbd.jpg

start with a cold case , put it in the freezer over night or leave it in the cold shop before starting, use a propane tourch gently heat the  the  ouside area of the case then put the heat to the case around the bearing never blowing heat at the steel race, only away from it for maybe half a muinite, gently slam  the case face down on a ftat surface and the bearing should fall out.

do not hammer out

I actually had success with the washer trick, I was able to put enough of the roller bearings in with the broken plastic cage to get a good surface to whack the bearing out. Some heat on the case and it popped right out.

Putting the case in the freezer technique in the memory for possible future use

• Like 1

You could save yourself a lot of grief if you put the case in a preheated oven at 350 degrees. The bearings will drop out on their own or at most a light tap. Also have the new bearings ready and in the freezer for a couple hours prior and while the case is still hot they will literally drop in, just tap with a wood block to confirm they're fully seated. 350 degrees will not damage the seals or bearings your not changing, but they may fall out. You could try 300 degrees but 350 is generally suggested.

Good advice, but I did exactly that to get the bearings out and put the new ones in.

My issue was with the roller bearing side, I had sent the crank out to be rebuilt and it had the race on it, and I couldn't figure out how to remove that side. The other side dropped right out with some heat on the case, the roller bearing side was a little more tricky since there isn't anything to tap on. I went to the hardware store and bought a washer that fit just inside the bearing, reinstalled the plastic retainer and bearings, heated the case for a few minutes and it popped right out

OK, your talking about getting the inner race off the crankshaft. That one is tricky without the right tool. KTM sells the tool but if your handy you can make one. It's a split heavy metal collar that is heated and quickly clamped on the bearing race. As the race heats and expands it just slides off, same with installing the new race, clamp in the heat sink and slide on. 

I tried the cold crank torch method on the race without success. The crank heat sinks the heat from the race to quick. If you have a split clam shell bearing puller and a press you might be able to hook it on the bearing lip, I don't think there's enough room to get behind. The race is a heat fit from the factory. I've since had a tool made by a KTMtalk member in the tool box. As the saying goes, the right tool for the job.

I actually found a great trick. You just need a .65c washer from the hardware store. Worked like a charm!