Sign in to follow this  

chain stretch?

I have tightened my chain about 3 times now and i do it after every other ride. Is this typical? Im worried if it keeps stretching it will break. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

What kind of bike, what kind of chain?  If its a TTR230 or something similar then that is alot.  If its something like a CRF450R and you are aggressive, then that's normal. 

Very dependent on how much free slack you first set before you ride,

a few years ago when I started MX'ing again I'd adjust my chain to the minimum slack specified in the manual,

like you every 1-2 rides I'd have to re-adjust it because it stretched. Too tight also binds up the rear suspension.

Now I adjust it rather slack, even about 1/4" more the recommended maximum slack, and very rarely have to re-adjust it any more.

There are a few other variables, using a cheap econo chain versus a higher tensile strenght quality one,

and the bike's power output as a 450 will be tougher on chains than a less torquey 125 2T or 230F trail bike.

Edited by mlatour

Worn sprockets wear a chain fast. I like to replace all 3 components together. A quality O-ring chain will last longer and require a lot less adjusting.

I went from adjusting a did ert2 frequently to a Regina orn6 that I have not had to touch after 30hrs on the meter. Couldn't be happier, constantly tightening the chain gets old fast.

If and when my chain gets out of tension spec I will probably throw a fresh countershaft sprocket on since I use the cheaper steel jt or sunstar sprockets.

I ride a 450

Edited by Hoosier-Daddy
  • Like 1

Just got the bike (new or used) or the chain 2 weeks ago?

Either way, a low powered Chinese bike like that most likely comes with a low quality chain.

If it's not worn out, try leaving more free play in the chain when you adjust it.

Edited by mlatour

Worn sprockets wear a chain fast. I like to replace all 3 components together. A quality O-ring chain will last longer and require a lot less adjusting.

I went from adjusting a did ert2 frequently to a Regina orn6 that I have not had to touch after 30hrs on the meter. Couldn't be happier, constantly tightening the chain gets old fast.

If and when my chain gets out of tension spec I will probably throw a fresh countershaft sprocket on since I use the cheaper steel jt or sunstar sprockets.

I ride a 450

May require less maintenance but not convinced that by design an o-ring chain stretches less than a regular one.

I've had great results with those DID ERT2 but on a little YZ125 rather than a high torque engine like a 450

but as mentionned in my previous post I also leave it adjusted on the loose side versus tighter.

Say, 3-1/2 fingers for those who understand dirtbike lingo...

Edited by mlatour

May require less maintenance but not convinced that by design an o-ring chain stretches less than a regular one.

To me the proof was in the numbers. I went from close to 2.0 inches of slack to out of spec (over 2.4 inches) in each ride with the ert2. This started well before 30hrs of service.

Orn6 I set at 2.0 inches and 30+ hrs later it is still at less than 2.25 inches slack. That = less wear or "stretch".

I am weird and break out a tape measure. Too OCD for the finger method.

Are you properly adjusting the chain? It needs to be done by aligning the centers of the countershaft, swing arm pivot bolt, and axle bolt, then adjusting for 10mm to 20mm movement at the center point between the sprockets.

If you're doing the adjustment correctly, keep doing it for a while.  Those OEM chains are not the best quality, not pre-stretched (broken in) and it may take several times of repeating it before it settles down.  I had a Flywing that required adjustment almost every time I rode it for the first 50 or 100 mi., then it was pretty good.

I've had 3 renthel chains on a drz400sm in the last e months they have all snapped they keep stretching what's going wrong??

Are you SURE you're adjusting it correctly?  (As in too tight)  Those are pretty strong chains and that shouldn't happen.

Maybe REALLY BAD sprocket alignment?  That bad and you could probably see it by eye without even using a straight edge.  The chains that broke, look at them and see if one side looks like it has any weird/extreme wear marks compared to the other side plates. If one side looks way worse than the other, maybe you have a wheel bearing going REALLY bad and is causing the mis-alignment.  Also, lift the rear wheel off the ground and spin it and see if the chain tension varies much or if it's pretty constant.

BTW- since this question is about a DRZ, post the question in the make/model specific sub forum.  Maybe this has happened to some other DRZ owners.

Edited by motoxvet

I wonder what lubrication you are using on the chain.  It could be your wearing out problem.  I make up 40 -50 weight oil, used ok, mix it with like STP, or Graphite.  on a clean chain soak it good, then I take bearing grease and on my fingers, rub it into the rollers, which will hold the lighter oil in place and on long ride, your chain will not come home dry and shinny, which is a no no.  NOTE:  big note, when your chain stops needing adjusting after let say two motos, replace it, they snap when they can no longer stretch. ***  A chain must stretch.  ***

Alignment is another concern which most do not even see how far off the front and rear sprockets are from being lined up.  You might have a bent frame, and if so, the front and rear sprocket teeth will not be in line.  This will eat a chain fast.  Good brand named chains are a must.  change brands, obviously the brand you use or keep buying is not working or might be counterfeit, copy.  All the steel on my chinese bike is soft, the chain only made it about 5 hours, before it stopped stretching.   I think I put an RK... or diamond on it, I forget.   my first bike stretched the chain on one half more than the other.  Its junk when this happens.  A loose chain is better than a too tight chain.   Tight chains will wear out quicker, even deform.

Listen to motoXvet, he knows his stuff.  

good luck.

check that sprocket alignment, is a must do ...