2010 crf250 forks are sagging

Just replaced seals (and whole inner chamber piston assembly on one). Now the forks do this...

fumgw0.jpg

9jdl52.jpg

My 450 looks like this...

724ugo.jpg

The 250 forks stay like that when being ridden as well. I have about 340cc of fork oil in each tube. I bought it used so I don't know what springs are in it. I do not recall it sagging like that before I replaced the seals in both and bolt assembly in the one.

Any ideas???

I keep a .pdf version of my buddy's 2007 CRF250R service manual in my computer as I sometimes do maintenance on it.

If it's any help, in the fork's servicing section it mentions to measure the length

before disassembly and to compare it after re-assembly here is the text : 

(source: Honda Motorcycle Company)

14.Measure the length (21) between the axle holder and outer tube and record it before disassembling the fork.
Standard: 12.5 ± 0.1 in (317 ± 2 mm)

12.Compare the length (10) at assembly and at disassembly. They should be the same length.
If the length at assembly is longer than at disassembly, check the center bolt and lock nut installation.

Also, not familiar with Showa since my YZ has KYB forks but,

is there any chance the spring perches can be installed upside down in that model fork?

(since there was no preload, the springs would probably rattle around inside the tube when the wheel is off the ground)

Edited by mlatour

When the bike is on a stand and the wheel is off the ground the forks extend like they should... Only when it's on the ground does it sag... I've wondered about the spring perches and the washers that go with them. Maybe didn't put them in right order or right direction...

If you are talking about the spring preload adjustment washers, they don't go against the spring perch but rather at the other end of the spring in the bottom of the tube.

There is nothing to properly locate them near the perch and they will surely mess up something if installed there by mistake.

Edited by mlatour

Yes my examples are about the main (long) fork springs,

there's a chance you've slid the spring perches on the cartridges in the wrong direction during re-assembly.

The springs could be resting on the 'cone shaped' outside surface of the perch instead of the 'flat' end, changing their installed height.

f29-3.jpg

Edited by mlatour