Sign in to follow this  

New to me xr100

I recently bought a used 1996 xr100 for my son. My first 4stroke so i have a lot to learn. The spark plug hole is stripped and the plug pops out if you try to ride so I will have to fix that. I have looked up a few different options for fixing this but the I have come to the conclusion that my best option is to pull the head and use a heli coil kit for m10x1 (current plug size). I was wondering if anybody has any experience with this specific issue, any input would be helpful. I was also wondering what would be the best service manual to get for it. I have seen several online covering many different years. I currently have one for 98-03, is there a big difference from the 96?

Thanks in advance for any help.

You're right to pull down the head to fix the thread.

Imo, helicoil is the best solution.

The manual is allright, no changes on the engine since 1992.

Give the valves a leak test with some gasoline at this opportunity.

• Like 1

Good to hear, Thank You. I will be ordering the top end gasket kit tonight and start looking through the manual. What do you mean by a leak test?

Since you hold the head in your hands, it's easy to test the valves/valveseats on seal tightness.

You may put some gas into the intake and watch wether the intake valve does close tight or not. Same on the exhaust side.

When gas runs through the seats, you have to pull the valves and lapp them in for better sealing, maybe a valve job.

I used a Heli coil a bunch of times. Works great.  

Did you pull the head and use a regular heli coil kit or did you do use the one specifically for spark plug holes that cuts out the old thread and re threads? I have read on a few older forum's of guys doing it without taking the motor apart but the only spark plug repair kits that I can find in m10x1 size are special ordered from Germany for like $50. 

I just used the ones from Pep Boys.  Drill, tap, then screw in the heli coil and say, "well that was $30."  Nothe special about it.  The good thing is at least you can have the tool for a long time.  $30 is a lot for what you get, but I need to do it that day. 

I just used the ones from Pep Boys.  Drill, tap, then screw in the heli coil and say, "well that was $30."  Nothe special about it.  The good thing is at least you can have the tool for a long time.  $30 is a lot for what you get, but I need to do it that day. 

Did you pull the head to do it?

They make spark plug taps as well, hard to explain but you drill the head and basically put a price of pipe in it that has threads on the outside , reverse thread, that you tap the head for. It way more solid then a helicoil , not that there is anything wrong with them. Just a more permanent fix I think that's all

If you haven't done it yet let me know I've done several and never had any problems first one was 8 plus years ago. And no issues what so ever. Helicoil works great too not trying to bust on anyone just giving my two cents

There is a tap that you can insert into the head and re- thread upwards rather than downwards and the metal comes out on the outside of the motor. I remember reading about it a few years ago and I told my friend about it and he procured one a year or two ago. Nice not to have to take head off. I could ask him where he got it if anyone is interested. Nice tool to have in the  repertoire. If it is really stripped a heli-coil is your answer.

There is a tap that you can insert into the head and re- thread upwards rather than downwards and the metal comes out on the outside of the motor. I remember reading about it a few years ago and I told my friend about it and he procured one a year or two ago. Nice not to have to take head off. I could ask him where he got it if anyone is interested. Nice tool to have in the  repertoire. If it is really stripped a heli-coil is your answer.

Absolutely. If you can find out that would be a huge help. I have done quite a bit of looking and have not had much luck finding the tools to do it without pulling the motor. I would definitely prefer not to have to take it all apart. 

I looked at these at one of the local auto parts stores. It looks like you would have to either countersink them into the motor or change to a longer spark plug? Or are you supposed to take the lock washer off from the plug?

Edited by nateb1583

The best solution is to replace the head, the next best is a time sert, last is a helicoil.

I'd think you should be able to cross reference the plug to one with a 12MM thread and then tap the head out to that, then there is no heli coil needed. I did this for a friends bike a few months ago. remove the head, it's not that hard and you don't want to take the chance of any shavings getting in there.

Yes, you have to pull the head.  However, on my Ford F150, they do it with the head on.  But to be safe, just pull the head. It's easy and you can clean things up while you're in there.  Just buy a base and head gasket. I use Gaska-cinch on the head gasket.