Sign in to follow this  

Holy Cow, This is FUN!(new to me bike)

Hey everybody. Been lurking for years and riding a Honda VTX 1800f cruiser for the last ten years. Got bored with it and decided to buy a new to me 2006 DRZ SM. OMG! haven't had this much fun on a bike since riding dirt bikes as a kid. Got it off Craigslist for 3900. It came with the FCR39 carb, a StainTune pipe(way too loud), Edge 2 taillight and I put on new LED signals f/r, FMF Q4, Galfer steel lines f/r, Seat Concepts seat(AAAHH), Unabiker radiator guards, 15T front and 41Trear sprockets, and some pretty Zeta pieces. It's true what they say about riding a slow bike fast, cuz this baby is a blast.

Now all I have to do is remember how to wheelie again. Like I said it's been 10 years. I had a 2003 Kawi Ninja 636 and that was easy to wheelie. But the VTX, forget it. That thing weighed 900lbs. It was nice but got bored with it. Oh that's the other thing that makes me smile about the DRZ. NO CHROME!!! to polish and obsess over. Well just wanted to say HI :moon: Here's a couple of pics of my new toy. Oh yeah, Boy does this thing need a 6speed.

PB030038.JPG

PB030039.JPG

Edited by Redman1183
  • Like 12

Nice bike and congrats, you will be a happier rider inside city limits.

Highway is tough with the wind and no 6th gear but i didnt buy mine to put on heavy highway miles.

I bought it for Urban assaults on city streets and it is one of the best at it.

Yeah, I live just outside of my town. About 5 miles and the backroads are CURVY. Super fun. I have about 1 mile of rural hwy with speeds of 65-70 until I get into town and that kinda sucks. But splitting lanes in traffic has never been this easy before :ride:  I'm telling ya too, that seat concepts seat may even be more comfortable than the cruiser that I sold. HEAVEN

• Like 2

Hey everybody. Been lurking for years and riding a Honda VTX 1800f cruiser for the last ten years. Got bored with it and decided to buy a new to me 2006 DRZ SM. OMG! haven't had this much fun on a bike since riding dirt bikes as a kid. Got it off Craigslist for 3900. It came with the FCR39 carb, a StainTune pipe(way too loud), Edge 2 taillight and I put on new LED signals f/r, FMF Q4, Galfer steel lines f/r, Seat Concepts seat(AAAHH), Unabiker radiator guards, 15T front and 41Trear sprockets, and some pretty Zeta pieces. It's true what they say about riding a slow bike fast, cuz this baby is a blast.

Now all I have to do is remember how to wheelie again. Like I said it's been 10 years. I had a 2003 Kawi Ninja 636 and that was easy to wheelie. But the VTX, forget it. That thing weighed 900lbs. It was nice but got bored with it. Oh that's the other thing that makes me smile about the DRZ. NO CHROME!!! to polish and obsess over. Well just wanted to say HI :moon: Here's a couple of pics of my new toy. Oh yeah, Boy does this thing need a 6speed.

How many times did the harley guys at work come out and wonder wtf was wrong with you ? Buying a 'kids bike' ? Silly little wheels ? Where's the SOUL in that jap crap thing anyway ? 

or something like that. Then you ride off into the twisties with a big shit eatin grin. ;-) 

congrats

• Like 1

15/41 is stock gearing. I dropped to a 39t rear and am a happy camper even within slower city limits, and also does fine on freeway, can't even feel any bottom end loss. My speedo reads about 75mph and I am still comfortable keeping up with SoCal freeway without feeling like it wants to explode.

Nice bike btw. Looks sweet. This bike is perfect for ca urban terrorizing. Jump off curbs, cut through feilds, split lanes like no ones business (I lane split through traffic past huge Harley's who can't make it daily and laugh)

I've the dual sport version and while used to ride an '83 GS1100 with quite a bit of work done to it 20 years ago, the DRZ is 10 times the fun. I remember looking at these back in in about 2000 but said nah...those are cheap pieces of crap....I was wrong. I'm about a month into ownership and look forward to riding it every day

• Like 1

BackEast here, there isn't an SM in sight, shit, I hardly see any other dualsports either, and there's plenty people, weird. After reading a few posts here, you guys OutWest seem to enjoy riding the California streets a little recklessly. Though it looks like a lot of fun to me, I save the crazy stuff for off-road. If you give the non-motorcycling public a reason to not be too fond of you, they tend to look down on ALL motorcyclists which isn't good for our sport. Don't get me wrong, urban assaulting looks like a f-ing blast, if I lived out there, I would be very tempted to join the fun, but the general publics impression of motorcycles is not good now, it doesn't need to get any worse. I'm pretty jealous of the legal lane-splitting you guys are allowed to do, how does that work out for you? I wouldn't do it over 10mph though, I'd be worried a bike hater would open his door on me just for laughs

• Like 3

Congrats! And yes they are so much fun! Curvy roads or dirt! We have the S models. Don't know why we waited so long to get these!!

• Like 3

BackEast here, there isn't an SM in sight, shit, I hardly see any other dualsports either, and there's plenty people, weird. After reading a few posts here, you guys OutWest seem to enjoy riding the California streets a little recklessly. Though it looks like a lot of fun to me, I save the crazy stuff for off-road. If you give the non-motorcycling public a reason to not be too fond of you, they tend to look down on ALL motorcyclists which isn't good for our sport. Don't get me wrong, urban assaulting looks like a f-ing blast, if I lived out there, I would be very tempted to join the fun, but the general publics impression of motorcycles is not good now, it doesn't need to get any worse. I'm pretty jealous of the legal lane-splitting you guys are allowed to do, how does that work out for you? I wouldn't do it over 10mph though, I'd be worried a bike hater would open his door on me just for laughs

It's not really like you see in the commercials, just most of it. There aren't a bunch of shitheads dicing it up through traffic everywhere. I'll ride the line when everyone is stopped to get to the front of the line...I might slalom through a few cars near the line if I don't make it to the front before the light turns green and cars start moving....but I think it's safer being out in front than it is hung up in traffic. Idiots will always be splitting at 30+...and their days are numbered, but most ride sensibly.

• Like 1

Yeah, if everyone plays by the rules, lane splitting is a great thing. I know, I shouldn't form opinions from watching the doofuses on youtube do there thing

• Like 1

Give a wave to the courteous folk when filtering traffic, avoid the raging fools.

• Like 2

But splitting lanes in traffic has never been this easy before :ride:

I can't even imagine what filtering would be like. Here you get to sit behind everyone while the drivers behind you wait 'till the last second to glance up from their phones and apply their brakes in almost panic fashion. This is not a rare occurrence, this is nearly every driver at nearly every stop. You have to sit at the edge of your lane, pointed towards your pre-planned escape route, with the bike in 1st. Your head must be on a swivel while watching your mirrors like a hawk and praying to every god there has ever been, just hoping one of them is listening! But, even THAT would be safer than filtering here in this state. Filtering here would be the equivalent of wearing a flashing neon sign that reads "Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries. PLEASE KILL ME".

• Like 1

I can't even imagine what filtering would be like. Here you get to sit behind everyone while the drivers behind you wait 'till the last second to glance up from their phones and apply their brakes in almost panic fashion. This is not a rare occurrence, this is nearly every driver at nearly every stop. You have to sit at the edge of your lane, pointed towards your pre-planned escape route, with the bike in 1st. Your head must be on a swivel while watching your mirrors like a hawk and praying to every god there has ever been, just hoping one of them is listening! But, even THAT would be safer than filtering here in this state. Filtering here would be the equivalent of wearing a flashing neon sign that reads "Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries. PLEASE KILL ME".

Got a lot of traffic down there in Delaware, do you? I do as well here in northeast Mass., not as bad as you, I'm sure. I'm able to go way out of my ways via backroads to reach my destinations, where there's little traffic. As good an idea lane splitting/ filtering is, too much can go horribly wrong. I personally feel this practice should only be used in the event traffic is stopped, or damn close to it

• Like 1

Love my WR gear box. Clicks into 5th around 115kph now and keeps going till around 140kph comfortably. 

• Like 1

Whats your gearing?

Wide ratio gear box is about 20% longer all up. 

15/43 I think.

• Like 1

Nice that's a big change. I'm running 15/38 with a cush hub rear wheel and it starts to get buzzy over 75ish but not to bad! 80+ is really ringing it out though!

Totally changed the bike, 5th comes into play right about where 5th used to give out. Spend a lot more time in 3rd and 4th now. 

• Like 1

Love my WR gear box. Clicks into 5th around 115kph now and keeps going till around 140kph comfortably. 

I run the top two gears of the WR box and the bottom 3 stock DRZ. 

14/47 S wheels

14/44 SM wheels. 

Makes for great singletrack and freeway runner. 

• Like 2