Sign in to follow this  

shifting question

With the transmission that is on the DRZ 400 SM, what does it mean when you, from a stop power through first and second gear then go to shift to fourth by holding the clutch in and shifting up twice where it doesn't seem to wanna let you shift up at all? Its like you pull up the lever hard twice to try to go to fourth because you're going to settle into that speed, but after you've pulled up twice you go to let the clutch out and you still in second gear. What is that? I think my old bike used to do that too.

Motorcycles use a sequential transmission. That means you have to go through 3rd to get to fourth. These transmissions require a certain amount of load to work smoothly. It's similar to when you stop in 4th and try to shift all the way back down without moving the bike. If you let the clutch out to engage third slightly, it should go right into fourth.

I use the clutch in tunnels.

So you're the one! Why is Etyrnal skipping 3rd, why not 2nd or 4th? I always skip 1st on-road

With the transmission that is on the DRZ 400 SM, what does it mean when you, from a stop power through first and second gear then go to shift to fourth by holding the clutch in and shifting up twice where it doesn't seem to wanna let you shift up at all? Its like you pull up the lever hard twice to try to go to fourth because you're going to settle into that speed, but after you've pulled up twice you go to let the clutch out and you still in second gear. What is that? I think my old bike used to do that too.

you can't skip 2nd, 3rd, or 4th, going up or going down. you may not engage the clutch in the process of shifting from 1st to 4th, but you still have to shift three times to get there. 

if your bike is staying in second, something is wrong. more than likely you're not letting the lever return to it's natural position between the shift from 2nd to 3rd, or 3rd to 4th

• Like 1

Why would you be trying to skip third?

because of having accelerated fast enough through 1st and 2nd to know that the speed i'm traveling is normal for 4th.  this isn't how one normally shifts.  but occasionally when one needs to accelerate rapidly.

i live on an extremely busy road, sometimes getting out into traffic means you need to race through 1st, and 2nd, then, near the top of 2nd, i don't need to accelerate anymore, and i just go to 4th.

Sometimes though, when i pull in the clutch, once i've gotten to the top of 2nd, and HOLD IT IN WHILE pulling the shift lever UP twice, it won't let me move it up even once.  It's not a  that i might have been somehow trying to magically skip from 2 to 4 without passing through 3.  

So why does it seem like sometimes i can, and sometimes i can't?

Engine RPM matching?

IF i'm going 50, and need to stop up ahead, if i pull the clutch in, it will let me shift down all the way to second -- so i dont' think the trans disallows single-clutch-pull-multi-shift.

you can't skip 2nd, 3rd, or 4th, going up or going down. you may not engage the clutch in the process of shifting from 1st to 4th, but you still have to shift three times to get there. 

if your bike is staying in second, something is wrong. more than likely you're not letting the lever return to it's natural position between the shift from 2nd to 3rd, or 3rd to 4th

i completely understand that you have to go THROUGH each gear in sequence when levering up or down, but i don't' have to let the clutch out in between each one.    

im not a tranny expert, but im pretty sure that when the clutch is out it forces the gear dogs and such to engage fully so its ready to go on to the next one .. you may not 'have to' to get it to shift, but i see no reason to play around with it .. the only time i ever have to do something like that is a panic stop .. going up though ... learn how to shift correctly .. quick precise, and dont be 'heavy' on the controls ..

because of having accelerated fast enough through 1st and 2nd to know that the speed i'm traveling is normal for 4th. this isn't how one normally shifts. but occasionally when one needs to accelerate rapidly.

i live on an extremely busy road, sometimes getting out into traffic means you need to race through 1st, and 2nd, then, near the top of 2nd, i don't need to accelerate anymore, and i just go to 4th.

Sometimes though, when i pull in the clutch, once i've gotten to the top of 2nd, and HOLD IT IN WHILE pulling the shift lever UP twice, it won't let me move it up even once. It's not a that i might have been somehow trying to magically skip from 2 to 4 without passing through 3.

So why does it seem like sometimes i can, and sometimes i can't?

Engine RPM matching?

IF i'm going 50, and need to stop up ahead, if i pull the clutch in, it will let me shift down all the way to second -- so i dont' think the trans disallows single-clutch-pull-multi-shift.

short answer: its your technique that isn't consistent

the transmission doesn't care at all what the clutch is doing. the clutch only disengages our engages the link between the engine and the transmission.

the transmission cares that

1 the rear wheel is rotating

2 you fully engage each gear

no skipping is allowed

Edited by ohgood

the thing is it sometimes let's me go to 4, from a topped out 2, through 3 (clutch, up, up), and sometimes it is still in 2 after if pulled the shifter up twice. like the 'chunk chunk' up fell short of kerchunk kerchunk...

1 how could any be skipped?

2 your explanation doesn't cover why it doesn't even make it from 2 to 3 tho

1 please read it again, shifts cannot be skipped

2 I'm not sure if there is a question here, could you please try again ? 

3 I can go from 3 to 5 by just pulling clutch then click up, click up. without ever engaging the engine for 4

3 please read above. the engine is not needed, nor the clutch, to make gear changes. the rear wheel's rotation is all that is needed. you have to think of the a) engine B) clutch and c) transmission as the three seperate, but linked, machines that they are, before you can understand why it works the way it does. 

the thing is it sometimes let's me go to 4, from a topped out 2, through 3 (clutch, up, up), and sometimes it is still in 2 after if pulled the shifter up twice. like the 'chunk chunk' up fell short of kerchunk kerchunk...

4   third gear was never engaged fully. wether that was a result of poor rider technique, or worn gear dogs, or a combination of both, i dunno. third must be fully engaged before the assembly can make a shift to fourth. 

The transmission requires a load to fully engage a specific gear. When you pull the clutch in and shift up, you may not be completely engaged in said gear until you start letting the clutch out and the load of the rest of the tranny and drive train completes the engagement. If you try to shift up again without fully engaging the gear before, you won't be able to. Keep in mind, different gears use different cogs on each shaft (main and counter) so they will not all react the same nor need the same load to completely engage. This can be affected by engine RPM and wheel speed.

Funny, most people want more gears in their DRZ, not fewer. ;) The short answer is: That's the way it was designed and you should just use all the gears, even if it's only for a split second.

Looks like all the options have been covered. Try this scenario - 2nd gear, pull in the clutch, pull up on the shift lever now you are in 3rd, clutch not released, pull up the shift lever again now you are in 4th.  It should work.  But when you release the clutch you find you are still in 2nd.  The only explanation I can see is your foot did not allow the lever to fully return to its central position so the internal indexing mechanism never did pick up a shift, the lever just "free wheeled".  This can some times happen when you are in a hurry or if you have on different foot wear, or if the shift lever is set too low, or if you just changed motorcycles.  It happens some times not a big deal, rider error.  I do recommend you release the clutch in 3rd if only briefly.  The common muscle memory will help you to complete the shifts.