Sign in to follow this  

Xr 400r decompression lever missing

Hey guys, sorry for my poor english I am from Quebec.

I just bought a xr400r, it's in pretty good shape except that my decompression lever and cable are missing. I was wondering if I can replace them by a lever like the one on my fourtrax 300.

Thanks

Should be no problem. Just need to find the parts.

Is the mechanism on the right side of the head cover still there? Something to think about, sometimes when people remove the lever and cable, they also remove the decompressor cam off of the cam shaft. If that has been done with your bike, just replacing the lever and cable will do you no good.

The mechanism is still on the right side of the engine. I will post a picture when it's done. My second question is what would be the best product to soak my carb parts in to give them a good bath before puting it back together?

Thank you very much Trailryder42 for the quick answer.

My second question is what would be the best product to soak my carb parts in to give them a good bath before puting it back together?

Elbow grease. The time required in letting it sit in a soaking of something, you could clean it by hand, blowing out every passage with carb cleaner, wiping it down, finish quicker and will have done a better job. Just don't expose your rubber parts to cleaner. When you put it back together, don't just throw the float in as it was. Check and set it's levels to spec.

Well then that's the way I will do it you seem to know quite a lot on these bike thank you again.