Sign in to follow this  

Trail Tech Voyager GPS

Hey Gents,

I'm looking for GPS system. I would like a single unit ( miles, temp, alt) etc. Seems like this unit does it all. Does anyone have experience with this unit? Good, bad, or is there anything better? I would like to keep things as simple as possible up in the flight deck and this appears to be the best. Please advise.

Thanks

I have one. It's pretty awesome. Made for dirt bikers. Easy to use with gloves on. If I remember right it just plugged into the existing ktm harness to power itself.

I crashed with it and busted something on the back and water got in and now it no longer works.

Hope I can get trail tech to fix it cause it's cool.

So I would say make sure it's well protected the way you mount it.

• Like 1

Awesome. Agreed, I was looking at getting the cage as well. I'm trying to eliminate the need for muti units up front.

If you buy a Beta you get one for FREE :thumbsup:[/

I was looking into Beta. Hopefully next year. My Husaberg was good, but I like my KTM more. Beta is next on the list.

• Like 1

I'ma Garmin fan, 62stc and has a 5.0 Camera. :ride:   

yes the garmins are the preferred gps for organized dualsport rides

the shortcoming of the trailtech is a black and white rather than color display

with the garmins you can identify hard and easy options and different days rides by using different color tracks

Also with the trailtech you have to remove the micro sd card and put it in a card reader adapter to load the tracks on rather than just plugging in a cable for fast downloads as is done with the garmins

• Like 1

Just know that unless things have changed, the Voyager doesn't come preloaded with any map. More importantly I also I believe it is not capable of importing maps, the screen will never look like anything from Garmin or what you may be familiar with in terms of GPS mapping and navigation.

The Voyager does import .gpx files which are files containing waypoints, tracks and routes which the user can create or download from sites which post such user created data. In most cases the data will be limited in scope, a few will be more comprehensive for example a file containing the legal routes at Jawbone or Gorman. 

The Voyager contains GPS technology which in may respects is at least 10 years (grayscale display, no maps, no POI file, no autorouting). For some this may be enough (recording, importing/exporting as ridden tracks and waypoints) but most expect more from a GPS these days. The Voyager does have other MC features which have value and IMO they should be the most important reason to buy one.

When it comes to GPS offroad the current prefered handhelds are the Garmin 78 (buttons) or Montana (touch screen). The 62/64 are very similar to the 78 but utilize delicate mini USB for external power (not an issue if only powering via internal battery) vs a heavy duty external power connector on the 78.

Bruce

Edited by BDM
  • Like 2

I have one and I like it. The GPS function is very limited and does not compare to a stand alone GPS.  But in general, its a nice replacement for my factory dash that only showed speed and mileage.  The Temp LED's are very handy.

Here is a link to a thread I had on mine;

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1152142-trail-tech-voyager-custom-bracket/

Example of taking the GPS data and overlaying it on to google maps;

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?mid=z7lfQ91UQ-mQ.kOBD8fbPUmiY

• Like 1

I have a voyager and it's a great little unit. However, if you are wanting something with good GPS features then I would look elsewhere. It's not color and holds a very limited number of tracks, no contour lines, etc. I'm not sure why they haven't come out with an updated one that has a color screen.

Thanks. I'm still on the fence. I like the MC functions of the Voyager, but seems like its not a true GPS. It would also suck to have so many gadgets on the flight deck. OEM speedo, stabilizer, hand guard mounts, and Stand alone GPS unit.

• Like 1

Thanks. I'm still on the fence. I like the MC functions of the Voyager, but seems like its not a true GPS. It would also suck to have so many gadgets on the flight deck. OEM speedo, stabilizer, hand guard mounts, and Stand alone GPS unit.

I've been on the fence over which GPS to get and I've never considered the Tat unit mainly because of the weak GPS features.

What are the other things I does? I'm not missing any gauges on the xcw. It steams when it's hot and it's never lost much water at all.

I've been on the fence over which GPS to get and I've never considered the Tat unit mainly because of the weak GPS features.

What are the other things I does? I'm not missing any gauges on the xcw. It steams when it's hot and it's never lost much water at all.

Yeah right now I have nothing. Mine is XC model with after market light. I want to keep hours, miles, etc. Just would suck to buy 2 separate units.
  • Like 1

Yeah, get an hour meter and stick it on the frame.

Then get a Garmin GPS and hardwire it to the battery. Good to go for all faraway adventures :thumbs up:

• Like 1

Trail Tech's mapping program for GPX files is sure easier than Garmin's Basecamp - at least for me.....

But I'll be the first to admit that I'm non intuitive with most programs.

Yeah, get an hour meter and stick it on the frame.

Then get a Garmin GPS and hardwire it to the battery. Good to go for all faraway adventures :thumbs up:

Great idea. Best so far. Thanks

trail tech is the non gps nerds gps i guess :excuseme:  

ps you might want to buy 4 or 5  hour meters. I gave up on them after my third one died 

Edited by Mr. CooL ICE