Sign in to follow this  

Trail Tech Voyager GPS

I just use my phone for gps, downloaded a map app.. US topo maps.. it follows and records tracks.. works well enough.. has trails on it already too

Thats what I have been doing as well. Gonna get a Montana 650t soon though after seeing one recently its so much better than a phone! But a phone since we already have one is hard to beat, lol.

• Like 2

Oh hey, stop crashing all the time and they will last

Mine just clicked off 200 hours m8

i had one that went over 200.....last two took a shit one in less than 20 hrs  :excuseme:

I was looking to get one for my boyfriend for x-mas. For those of you who have garmin, do they have an easy way to lay down a track that you've never been on? My boyfriend is notorious for taking the "scenic route" only to not be able to find his way back to the truck.

I need a unit that he can literally press a button when he starts a ride and it will track his path. And when he gets lost (again), he can figure out how to get back on a path. It also needs a mount that can go on multiple bikes and can be changed from bike to bike easily (he has 3 bikes).

• Like 1

I need a unit that he can literally press a button when he starts a ride and it will track his path.

Every GPS I have ever seen does this.  That's how tracks are created.  You ride...  gps tracks you.  Most have a track back function.  That's just what they do.

I was looking to get one for my boyfriend for x-mas. For those of you who have garmin, do they have an easy way to lay down a track that you've never been on? My boyfriend is notorious for taking the "scenic route" only to not be able to find his way back to the truck.

I need a unit that he can literally press a button when he starts a ride and it will track his path. And when he gets lost (again), he can figure out how to get back on a path. It also needs a mount that can go on multiple bikes and can be changed from bike to bike easily (he has 3 bikes).

Yes, you just hit "Track Back" it will literally take you on same route in reverse...  

Ok, I've got to much money in other bike parts that are on the agenda. Just couldn't justify spending $280 for stand alone GPS. This set up cost me $9.98. GPS app was $3.99 and New water prof case is $5.99. I have everything i need now. Tracks, waypoint, GPS, ODO, altitude.. Etc. The iPhone will either be zip tied or double sided Velcro to hold in place. Everything else I had at the house already, including an hour meter. Gona test it out this weekend.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1447452933.129817.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1447452952.738424.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1447452965.131178.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1447452982.660694.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1447452992.936539.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1447453005.755054.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1447453019.651841.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1447453030.054001.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1447453046.152203.jpg

• Like 2

Ok, I've got to much money in other bike parts that are on the agenda. Just couldn't justify spending $280 for stand alone GPS. This set up cost me $9.98. GPS app was $3.99 and New water prof case is $5.99. I have everything i need now. Tracks, waypoint, GPS, ODO, altitude.. Etc. The iPhone will either be zip tied or double sided Velcro to hold in place. Everything else I had at the house already, including an hour meter. Gona test it out this weekend.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1447452933.129817.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1447452952.738424.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1447452965.131178.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1447452982.660694.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1447452992.936539.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1447453005.755054.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1447453019.651841.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1447453030.054001.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1447453046.152203.jpg

Just don't ride in any snow ......timbeeeeeeeerrrrrrrr :D

Just don't ride in any snow ......timbeeeeeeeerrrrrrrr :D

agree. Snow and I are oil and water. Good training though.
  • Like 2

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1447452933.129817.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1447452952.738424.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1447452965.131178.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1447452982.660694.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1447452992.936539.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1447453005.755054.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1447453019.651841.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1447453030.054001.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1447453046.152203.jpg

what app are you using?

what app are you using?

I'm using GPS Tuner. It's for the older IPhone. I have IPhone 4s
  • Like 1

You got insurance on your phone and all your contacts backed up ? :doh:

Yeah. I also have the Otter Box Case, pretty much bullet proof.

------

The other great thing about this app is that it has the " emergency " button. So if I go down it will send 3 contacts my GPS location and notify EMS. That also saved me couple hundred $$ as I was looking into the SpotMe locater for my K-Solo rides. So far so good, guess only time will tell.

• Like 1

I'm using GPS Tuner. It's for the older IPhone. I have IPhone 4s

I'm not very good w/ technology , but I have motion X app on I phone. I also have a 650 Montana , but it's very difficult for my feeble brain:)
  • Like 1

Yeah. I also have the Otter Box Case, pretty much bullet proof.

------

The other great thing about this app is that it has the " emergency " button. So if I go down it will send 3 contacts my GPS location and notify EMS. That also saved me couple hundred $$ as I was looking into the SpotMe locater for my K-Solo rides. So far so good, guess only time will tell.

Isn't that all dependant on cell towers ?  I can cross the highway out here and climb over one hill and cell phone is useless.  I think it's worth every penny to have a stand alone gps in your back back or strapped to the bars if your safe return is at stake.   :thinking:   Unless your app will send those emergency messages via sat if needed...  kinda like a SPOT or DeLorme.

Looks good though.  I did a similar mount in a Protaper bar pad years ago for my garmin handheld gps.  Three zip ties and it was secure as hell.

• Like 1

Isn't that all dependant on cell towers ? I can cross the highway out here and climb over one hill and cell phone is useless. I think it's worth every penny to have a stand alone gps in your back back or strapped to the bars if your safe return is at stake. :thinking: Unless your app will send those emergency messages via sat if needed... kinda like a SPOT or DeLorme.

Looks good though. I did a similar mount in a Protaper bar pad years ago for my garmin handheld gps. Three zip ties and it was secure as hell.

It actually works off your phones internal GPS, but I do think their is overlap from the towers. I can down load maps from the area I'm going and if no reception avail it will convert to the down loaded map. It kinda overlaps GPS data to what you have downloaded.

Gona test it out tomorrow. I'll be in the Dez. Stand by to stand by.

If I never get on TT again then I guess it failed and I'm lost roaming the DEZ forever.

Edited by KDXRon
  • Like 2

It actually works off your phones internal GPS, but I do think their is overlap from the towers. I can down load maps from the area I'm going and if no reception avail it will convert to the down loaded map. It kinda overlaps GPS data to what you have downloaded.

Gona test it out tomorrow. I'll be in the Dez. Stand by to stand by.

If I never get on TT again then I guess it failed and I'm lost roaming the DEZ forever.

I would love to hear a ride report on this. Did it work as you had hoped? Were you in cell service or out of cell service during your ride? Can you 'test' the emergency locator without notifying ems (hate to do put out a call falsely).

I would love to hear a ride report on this. Did it work as you had hoped? Were you in cell service or out of cell service during your ride? Can you 'test' the emergency locator without notifying ems (hate to do put out a call falsely).

Yes it worked fine. I downloaded a map of the area I knew I was going to be in. I also hit the track button and that worked well too. You can set your contacts for non-emergency as well just to send updates to friends that you are ok. Overall it worked OK, not great. It takes at least an hour on every trip to down load maps of the area your are going to explorer. Then you would have to plot way points that you want to explorer. I think it would work ok for novice exploration. I will most likely get a full blown GPS very soon for true peace of mind. We did over hundred miles on Saturday and my phone was dead about half way. I brought a Mobil charger along.

Edited by KDXRon
  • Like 1

I had a stand alone GPS prior to customizing my OEM computer with a Manzanita bush. I replaced the OEM with the Voyager and it works great for following a line and as a back up to my GPS just in case of operator error with my GPS. I also have a 9v outlet attached directly to the battery. By using the Ram mounting system it makes it easy

to swap out my GPS cradle for my phone attachment depending if I'm going on a street or dirt ride.TripComputerDied2015_zpsedf187bb.jpg

20151116_160435_resized_zpsin1gheaj.jpg