Sign in to follow this  

KTM 300 XC vs. 250 XC-F

My last dirt bike was a 1996 YZ250.  I stopped riding in 2000.  I've raced competitive bicycles (mtb and road) for the past 5 years and now I'm getting the itch to get another dirt bike to ride.  I'm looking to ride mostly for fun on mix up the biking.  I will likely try a few hare scrambles at some point though.  I'm looking to go orange, but I'm not sure if I should go 2 stroke or 4.  I've been reading about the differences (outside of what I already knew) and understand the 4s require more maintenance.  To get to the point, here are the specific questions I'd like some input on:

1. I'm going to be doing 90% trails and 10% track (although no big air), so should I go with the XC or the XC-W?
  2. For 2 stroke, I'm leaning towards the 300 XC (or XC-W).  I have no experience riding 4 strokes, but should I consider either the 250 XC-F or 450 XC-F?  I'm not a big guy (5'6" 135 lbs) so is a 250 4 stroke plenty of power if I go that direction?
  3. I've been reading as much as I can, but what are the things I should consider that I may not be thinking of based on what I've said?

Thanks for all the help!

Edited by ttusomeone