Sign in to follow this  

Snow friendly set up idea

So i had this idea and want to see of anyone has had the same, or possibly success with it. I was thinking i could buy some skiis or small snowboard from the thrift shop and rig that up to the from tire then use a sand paddle off craigslist for like $20 and stud it like i saw on another forum. Im just wondering how it would do in snow. Id be doing this to my yz250f set up for trail. I think if it worked it would be sick, probably wouldn't be as good as my sled but it sounds fun!

If you stay on well packed and sintered trails it will be pretty impressive, A studded paddle will out preform a studded knobby in acceleration on everything but ice. They give up a lot in corners though if the snow is not deep enough.

here is mine

102_0032_zpsed4f08c8.jpg

• Like 1

Yours is the one I saw!! How's it do in deep powder? I'm more of a off the trail deep snow type of sled rider and like to go wherever I think I can make it. Is your front tire just a knobby?

Yours is the one I saw!! How's it do in deep powder? I'm more of a off the trail deep snow type of sled rider and like to go wherever I think I can make it. Is your front tire just a knobby?

yes my front tire is a knobby with a couple hundred kold kutter screws in it. Its not going to work in bottomless powder.  The paddle really needs a dense layer to catch on and provide traction. It will still dominate spiked kobbies as the snow gets deeper and softer, just don't expect to be keeping up with a snow bike or sled. Although I have passed a couple sleds on well packed down snow machine trails ;)

yes my front tire is a knobby with a couple hundred kold kutter screws in it. Its not going to work in bottomless powder. The paddle really needs a dense layer to catch on and provide traction. It will still dominate spiked kobbies as the snow gets deeper and softer, just don't expect to be keeping up with a snow bike or sled. Although I have passed a couple sleds on well packed down snow machine trails ;)

That is awesome, we like to take the rzrs up in the snow when its not super deep so I'm thinking of giving it a go but the problem is a sand paddle isn't quite in the bushes at the moment. What is the best paddle tire you've found?

That is awesome, we like to take the rzrs up in the snow when its not super deep so I'm thinking of giving it a go but the problem is a sand paddle isn't quite in the bushes at the moment. What is the best paddle tire you've found?

the one in the photo is a skat trak. i have also used a cheng shin. I don't think it matters all that much

What about those hill climb chains you see? Can you buy them or are they custom made? That way you can keep your sand paddle or knobbie without the studs

As said don't expect too much in softer snow. A 250 will be working hard! As said, the firm or icy snow is where traction is best and drag is less.

I studded a used knobby style sand tire with 3/16 concrete screws. It worked good but I'm going to go with larger studs on a paddle tire this winter.

http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag140/KillerK42/Mobile%20Uploads/th_WP_20150201_12_00_25_Pro_VT1_zpslyvvms8z.mp4

Sorry if the link is wrong. Posting video from my phone doesn't always work.

Edited by KillerK