2013 DRZ burning oil bad....

Whats going on guys.

So my new &%$#@!ing 2013 drz400SM is burning oil bad. It smells bad, I see puffs of oil smoke out my exhaust, and I have noticed it when I check the oil. The bike has 4400 miles on it... I checked the plug and it looked pretty normal so not sure what my problem is. I know 9 times out of 10 if burning oil its the rings, but I was told may be my valves?

I did loop my bike few weeks ago (roughly when I think it started burning oil) and It was hard slam but was only little slow wheelie and it was still running when it dropped. I am thinking when it fell still running it &%$#@!ed the wall or something.

I haven't opened up the head or top end yet.

Regardless I just implulsed brought a 434cc big bore kit LOL.

Kit comes in Tuesday so we will see what the inside looks like then...

Heres some picks

12200751_1032696040084514_1702148366_n.jpg

12205029_1032245493462902_1823860140_n.jpg

• Like 2

pretty much same thing just happened to me this month..

started smoking bad(video in link).rode it for 30 miles smoked alot...drained oil only 1.3ish quarts(i think) came out..so i tore it down after that 1, 30 mile ride, and the cyl wall was really scored(pics in link)

i also read about it possibly being the valves..but only replaced piston,rings,cyl,gaskets,

it fired up instantly, have over 500 miles on the new piston 

no smoke

https://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1157438-i-got-lots-of-white-smoke-out-my-exhaust/

Edited by 707LAKE
  • Like 1

Whats going on guys.

So my new &%$#@!ing 2013 drz400SM is burning oil bad. It smells bad, I see puffs of oil smoke out my exhaust, and I have noticed it when I check the oil. The bike has 4400 miles on it... I checked the plug and it looked pretty normal so not sure what my problem is. I know 9 times out of 10 if burning oil its the rings, but I was told may be my valves?

I did loop my bike few weeks ago (roughly when I think it started burning oil) and It was hard slam but was only little slow wheelie and it was still running when it dropped. I am thinking when it fell still running it &%$#@!ed the wall or something.

I haven't opened up the head or top end yet.

Regardless I just implulsed brought a 434cc big bore kit LOL.

Kit comes in Tuesday so we will see what the inside looks like then...

Heres some picks

Oil change not related. In going to guess an air leak introduced mud or and and wore the cylinder out.

What did you mean a leak down? Sorry never heard of that and 4300 miles :/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8DF6bbVW-8

Basically, you are pressurizing the cylinder and factor the amount of loss over time. It can also help you figure out where the loss is coming from. (if you hear pressure escaping from the intake, exhaust, crankcase etc.) You can get cheap testers at Harbor Freight and the like.

• Like 3