Sign in to follow this  

Interesting noise after oil change

2001 with 18K miles...the $800 special. First 500 miles I put on it went well. It had been in the 90s/100s, and I noticed it rattling a bit when it got hot, so I decided to get rid of the valvoline 10W40 and poured in some Motul Conventional 20W50 (used 2 quarts, didn't change filter). Evidently I overfilled it because the filter housing didn't drain on its own, and it started puking oil on the swingarm out of the airbox drain. I drained everything, filter too, and poured in the right amount of Lucas 20w50 synthetic. On the test ride, there is a chirp/whine noise that increases with RPMs. I put about 50 miles on it and replaced it with 10W40 again, but the noise is still there. I'm headed over to ride a buddy's bike tomorrow to see if his does it too, but it seems new as I'm fairly perceptive to shit like this and I never noticed it before but was immediately annoyed by it after the oil change. Has anyone heard something like this before?

Yeah .. Obviously the noise is not oil related , at least the motor had a good flush out .

Have you done any loctite fixes ?

Do you check the valve clearance yourself ? , it's good to check the cam chain tension too .

Is the noise in the upper or lower area of the motor ? .

• Like 1

Internal noises to me are hard to diagnose on these bikes. They are already really noisy. Yesterday morning mine was rattling louder then normal (cam chain tensioner area ticking, even though I ditched the auto tensioner for a manual) then I didn't hear it when I fired it up to go home from work. Like every week there's a new noise that I hear that comes and goes away and makes me paranoid.

• Like 1

As always, the best way to get "good" help for a "strange noise" related issue is to post a video of the actual sounds you are hearing so we can give you an accurate diagnosis  :thumbsup:

As always, the best way to get "good" help for a "strange noise" related issue is to post a video of the actual sounds you are hearing so we can give you an accurate diagnosis  :thumbsup:

Thanks for that.  Problem is, you can only hear it while riding.  I don't have a gopro.  I suppose I could try to video with my phone in my pocket.  If I clutch it and left off the throttle at 50mph, noise goes away.  Sitting stationary with no load on the engine doesn't seem to produce the noise.  Now that I think about it, I guess it's sort of throttle angle and RPM dependent, which very well could make it an airbox resonance.  Maybe I'll stick something in the airbox to upset things a bit and see what happens.

I haven't lashed the valves or checked the stator or flywheel bolts yet...it's on the list.

Stator bolts were loose...interesting how contact coincided with the oil change...ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1446702534.288763.jpg

• Like 1