Sign in to follow this  

Part out or Rebuild?

Bought a 505 XC-F last month for cheap from a guy who neglected the valves. An exhaust valve broke jamming it against the piston and the head. Cylinder looks great, so do the cams, the piston and head are chewed. Wondering if the head is rebuildable or if I should buy a new one? I think if I'm forced to buy a new head I may just part it out, plus I can use some of the parts for my 530. Unless someone knows where I can buy a used head cheap besides eBay. Would like to have the 505 as a H&H bike though and not destroy my 530. Look at the pictures and let me know your expert opinions. Thanks,

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1446614467.505546.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1446614509.688955.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1446614520.678930.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1446614532.533973.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1446614544.407332.jpg

Weld the spots up, bench the welds to blend and recut the seats. Make sure the guides are good and should be ready to go. Finding a reputable/ good shop is going to be the hard part IMO. I've seen worse fixed and brought back to life, this one doesn't seem that bad but I'm no expert, just my opinion.

I can't see it being worth the money unless you can get a decent second hand head