Sign in to follow this  

Keeping it in the powerband

My grandson decided he wanted to get a dirt bike...music to my ears! So he initially got a Chinese motorcycle imitation to learn on. He has since killed that bike, it couldn't take the beating of actually being ridden off road. Now he has a TTR110 and he is getting better all the time but I think his skill level will stagnate because I am having a hard time getting across to him the importance of using the gears and keeping the engine in the powerband. He is so light weight and his bike can start out in any gear, so he likes to get it into 4th gear as soon as possible and just ride in one gear all day. As a result, he bogs the engine a lot and is really limited in what he can do. How can I explain the use of gears and keeping it in the powerband so a 10 year old will understand?

Take him racing he will learn how the fast kids keep it pinned.

We had the same thing but have gone passed that now.

Im going to put a manual clutch on it then he wont realize he can start in any gear.

Ttrs aint race bikes, but about a month ago my grandson raced a big talking kid that was all full of himself cause he had a "race bike", some 2smoke kawie, and my grandson kept up with the smug kid every inch of the race. The other kid won by about 1/2 a bike length because his riding skill was a little better than my grandson's, not because his bike was theoretically better. The rider is the critical factor, not the bike. Laugh all you want at ttrs.

Im going to put a manual clutch on it then he wont realize he can start in any gear.

Ttrs aint race bikes, but about a month ago my grandson raced a big talking kid that was all full of himself cause he had a "race bike", some 2smoke kawie, and my grandson kept up with the smug kid every inch of the race. The other kid won by about 1/2 a bike length because his riding skill was a little better than my grandson's, not because his bike was theoretically better. The rider is the critical factor, not the bike. Laugh all you want at ttrs.

Agreed the TTR's are great little bikes and very reliable.  Being easy to maintain is also a plus.  

The bikes can be made fast, but you are giving up nearly 10 horsepower to the 65's and quite a bit of weight. My oldest has a crf110f and is very similar to the ttr and my younger son has ktm 65sx and the crf gets smoked , but my oldest hates two strokes so that's what he rides until we he is big enough for a 150r. I do love how the air cooled 4 strokes are bulletproof and really are great bikes.

Edited by 223hpyhooker

Also he will keep the bike in the power band as he gains confidence. Just instil proper riding techniques and the more seat time/practice he gets the faster he will go and he will realize what makes the bike go faster .

Once my grandson masters more of the fundamentals, if he wants a 2smoke, Ill get him one. For now the steady eddie ttr is working out fine.