Sign in to follow this  

Bike runs extremely hot and pops

So I finally got my bike running. Its a new to me bike. Its a 2003 450r. I changed the oil on it and it was black with some metal flake in it so I put some ATF Type F in it and ran it for about 20 minutes just around my drive way. Took it back in the shop to let it cool and did an oil change on it. I was riding and not letting it idle, I didnt notice it getting overly hot.

I did the oil change and put in some 10w-40 (normal oil not specific motorcycle oil) knowing I am going to change it again and I am just trying to clean it out. Well the nice red ATF I had in there also came out black but with no metal flake. It seems to get awfully dark awfully fast.

Anyways so I swap the oil and let it run again and just idle in my garage. After a few minutes of idling it just shut off. And it was very difficult to get it started again. I gave it some gas and kept bliping the throttle when I did get it running again to just keep it a little revved to make sure it wouldnt die. I got some serious back fire and mind you this is at nice and I have a spark arresting muffler but I was actually able to see flame come out of the muffler.

I went easy on the throttle thinking I have a timing issue untill I look at my brand new FMF powerbomb header and its starting to glow a little red. I immediately shut it off and let it cool down. I pulled the spark plug thinking it was going to be a powdery white and running super lean. It looked like a normal spark plug with black carbon deposits on it.

Not sure why my bike was getting hot like this. Is it possible it was the oil? Should I not have let it just idle there? It wasnt even really idling that long..

Thanks for any help

Edited by kwhetstine

It's normal for the header to start glowing if the bike is just sitting there idling a bit since it's not getting any airflow but not like this:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1070486-05-crf450r-glowing-exuast

Have you adjusted the fuel screw?  What temperature is it when you are doing it?   When I had a carb bike, I turned the fuel screw out to reduce popping on those cold mornings then back to normal as the day warmed up.

Found this too:

AdamW21, on 10 May 2013 - 7:28 PM, said:

if you cant find the problem check to make sure the hot start lever is working right..my 07 250f had the hot start plunger stuck some how which was making the bike run with the hot start loop open at all times, which lead to the header glowing red and the bike running really really lean

It wasnt that red but it may have been if I let it sit longer, I dont know and didnt try. That sure doesnt seem right but it appears it may be a common deal. Just dont let these bikes idle. 

I have not messed with the fuel screw. Mine does not have a fuel screw it has a quick change knob deal so you can adjust it on the fly except it doesnt turn very well so I need to take it all apart and clean it and stuff. I will dive in the hot start lever that is a great idea that I did not think about. Thanks for the reply

Watch when getting the carb out.  My previous 2006 KX450F had some weak plastic hot starter connector that broke.  Replaced with with a metal one.

hs.jpg

Okay thanks. Will do. Wont try untill this weekend. Rode it for about a half hour today in circles on my dead end street. Mostly did fine, but when rolling around at barely above idle speed or tooling around in first it sure seems to start to get a little red. Didnt get as hot as it did when not moving but still seems to get hot enough I dont want to ride it on tight single track trails slowly. I hope its something simple like the hot start deal.