Sign in to follow this  

coast enrichener/jetting FCR

after riding my drz400sm around since i installed the FCR with the coast enrichener removed and hating all the deceleration popping i started to question why all the forums say to remove it. does this modification give me more power?  i read so many forums about people not liking the deceleration popping and i am considering reinstalling mine. what would be the recommended jetting with the coast enrichener installed given i have an aftermarket exhaust and the 3x3

How was the CR removed?  If no jetting change to remove it (nipples connected with a hose) no jetting change to re-instal.

it was originally from a wr400. before i installed it i removed the coast enrichener and installed a 100 air jet or pilot air jet can't remember the name of it to be honest. i then blocked the 2 vacuum nipples at the carb

My own experience has been the coast enrichers work fine, if you do not let the diaphragm go bad. I've never had a problem setting a fuel screw with an coast enricher on a bike. I also do not think for one minute that a manufacturer would spend the money on a part that adds no benefit. Some of the things the manufacturers do are saving pennies (and are penny wise, pound foolish) but I have yet to see anything that cost money that was not done for good reason. A coast enricher adds fuel on decel. It was not done for emissions, it was done because street/DP bikes are ridden more gently than race bikes and the riders tend to coast. Decel pops are not only annoying but hard on the exhaust.

• Like 1

i love your thinking william, thats exactly what was going through my mind. for years i have taken everything on thumpertalk as gospel but now i am thinking my needs might not be the same as others. i live in a very touristy part of thailand so not only is the decel popping annoying and sounds silly  its also offensive to tourists relaxing here. as you say racebikes very rarely coast where as when i ride down my local mountain i will be coasting/ decelerating for 12klms

so what would be the idle pilot circuit jetting for my bike given that it has -

slant body FCR,

3x3 mod,

an E exhaust with a PC Ti4 muffler

i still have E cams to install

its running a 45 pilot jet and a 100 pilot air jet

You should reinstall it as Yamaha had it set up.  I can tell you Suzuki set up but not Yamaha.  Suzuki was 60 air jet in the throat of the carb, 90 air jet in the nipple and 45 pilot fuel jet. In normal mode the 60 and 60 jets both feed air, when the CE is active the 90 is sealed off.  I actually doubt this will have much affect but it will be interesting to see.

I'm back to running the Mikuni carb which has integral CE (also called an air cut off valve) and it pops a lot.

• Like 1