Sign in to follow this  

2012 500 EXC idle when warm

I looked at a 2012 500 EXC, low hours, etc.  When I test rode it (10 minutes) it idled higher than when it was idling when first started.  Cold idle sounded about like every video I've watched with a bike idling in it.  Warm idle was high enough to my ear to want to adjust it down.  Is this something common or would I expect to find an air leak?

Bike is desmogged and has a JD tuner on it.  Stock otherwise.

Thanks

I never noticed that with my 2013. Maybe the tuner has something to do with it? Could be a air leak, but seems like it would be constant.  I would check desmog stuff. Could have some funky parts maybe..

normal mine has always idled higher once warmed up, the idle needs to be a litlle higher on these 

normal mine has always idled higher once warmed up, the idle needs to be a litlle higher on these 

Is it consistent?  Idle on mine will vary during a ride.  I just rode about 30 miles in the woods, fields, roads and every time I stopped the idle was a little different.

Is there an idle speed adjustment on the EFI bikes?

Is it consistent?  Idle on mine will vary during a ride.  I just rode about 30 miles in the woods, fields, roads and every time I stopped the idle was a little different.

Is there an idle speed adjustment on the EFI bikes?

Yes you turn the cold start knob counter or clockwise to adjust idle speed, as stated they run a bit better with the idle a bit higher.

Yes you turn the cold start knob counter or clockwise to adjust idle speed, as stated they run a bit better with the idle a bit higher.

Thanks.   I found it in the manual.  Imagine that!  lol

I think I recall my Husky TE510 also idled higher than I thought it should.  Nature of the beast I suppose.