Sign in to follow this  

DRZ E Conversion

Howdy Folks

I have a mint condition 2011 DRZ E which I want to convert to a more road based adventure bike.

I will need a quieter end can / exhaust as the current one is crazy loud.

I want to put an over sized tank on the bike. I have seen 3 types......Acerbis, Safari (from Australia) & IMS. I would love to know which one you guys think is the best?

I want to put full road switch gear on the bike and I guess a computer as I need all this for it to become road legal.

Any advice on better lights and indicators, horn etc.......

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I want to stay with 18 / 21" wheels......Will I find the hooligan mod on this forum?

Thanks for the info on the IMS tanks and the stomp grip.

Lubeking , you have the same bike we aussies get , the euro spec . It comes with full switch gear , indicators and a travel/trip computer from the factory . Has yours been changed ? or do you just want something better ? If you dont have the factory gear , I would use the std stuff as it should be plug and play , switch gear that is . Everyone says the trail tech is the way to go , very easy to set up and it has a tacho . You could get the switch gear secondhand from a wrecker/breaker yard for a lot cheaper than new . I also think the IMS tank looks the best and you can get a key lock for it , although being an aussie I should say use the safari . But , it is massive and I bet it causes weight issues when throwing it around . One of the other aussies on here ( craigo ) used to ride his E on the road and he kept the original wheels with road biased tyres . He was very happy with the way it rode so find some good rubber and you should be laughing as they say , greg

I want to stay with 18 / 21" wheels......Will I find the hooligan mod on this forum?

Thanks for the info on the IMS tanks and the stomp grip.

sorry my post was confusing now that I reread it lol hooligan mod is for sm style wheels. Gs500 wheels for on the S to make it have better street manners!

Howdy Folks

I have a mint condition 2011 DRZ E which I want to convert to a more road based adventure bike.

I will need a quieter end can / exhaust as the current one is crazy loud.

I want to put an over sized tank on the bike. I have seen 3 types......Acerbis, Safari (from Australia) & IMS. I would love to know which one you guys think is the best?

I want to put full road switch gear on the bike and I guess a computer as I need all this for it to become road legal.

Any advice on better lights and indicators, horn etc.......

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

scroll through the drz thread on advrider, it had tons of useful info but use Google search to find what you need, inside advrider.

the stock pipe (E or S) is quiet and good.

the tanks are fine from whoever, just pricey.

tires like the shinko 244 work well for adv stuff but suck in the mud

• Like 1

Cheers guys.....

Unfortunately, the Euro spec bike is way different to the Aussie specs. No switch gear at all, so all needs to be installed. I had a Trailtech computer before and will go with another one i think. I would like to upgrade the whole front light system. I have seen Baja designs do a conversion kit, but to be honest I am looking for something a bit better. Particularly in terms of a front headlight.

Am I correct in thinking that the DRZ E stator is capable of putting put the power needed for a full road kit?

Ohgood.......The stock exhaust on my 2011 bike is not quiet at all...It is the loudest thing I have ever heard....it needs to be changed to be street legal.

Thanks for all your help.........

The "E" stator output is 200w, same as the "S" and "SM". Only the kicker got the 150w stator. 

I had the Baja Designs headlight, same one that is in their conversion kit... It sucked. It has a DOT stamp, but the light output is horrid.

I got a stock S/SM unit off ebay, ripped the glass off the light, and put a Morimoto Mini D2S Bi-Xenon projector in it. Still need to fab up a clear cover for it and paint the chrome black, but I'll do that over the winter. The light output is amazing, the cut off is clean (no blinding others on the road), and it retains the factory adjustment ability.  Night visibility is better than my car, and it is only 35w.

• Like 1

Cheers guys.....

Unfortunately, the Euro spec bike is way different to the Aussie specs. No switch gear at all, so all needs to be installed. I had a Trailtech computer before and will go with another one i think.

1 I would like to upgrade the whole front light system.

2 I have seen Baja designs do a conversion kit,

3 but to be honest I am looking for something a bit better. Particularly in terms of a front headlight.

4 Am I correct in thinking that the DRZ E stator is capable of putting put the power needed for a full road kit?

5 Ohgood.......The stock exhaust on my 2011 bike is not quiet at all...It is the loudest thing I have ever heard....it needs to be changed to be street legal.

Thanks for all your help.........

1 put a cyclops LED in the stock light, and if that is not enough to satisfy you, add a 18W led light bar (amazon, less than $15, plenty bright) to supplement it. I don't think you'll need it after the LED replaces the stock H4 bulb. it's very good. 

see here:

http://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/3800-Lumen-H4-LED-Headlight-bulb-_p_83.html

and here: 

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AZPI0NE/ref=rr_xsim_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1446813505&sr=0

2 extremely expensive for what you're getting. i would piece used drz parts from ebay/amazon and pay 1/10th what hte 'kit' costs. 

3 see 1 

4 the stock stator is plenty strong, if you use LED signals, headlight, and tail/brake lights. you'll have enough left over for heated gear, phone charger, etc with led's. 

5 The stock exhaust is quiet. Yours has been modified, or needs the end cap replaced. The S / SM end cap will make the bike quiet, and includes a spark arrestor for the gov't goobers that think it matters. :)