Sign in to follow this  

Flat turns

Ok so I've been trying to master these flat turns at a good rate of speed but my front tire keeps on washing out and I fall hard every time. Anyone got any pointers? The soil is kind of loose. I really want to get this down and slide through the corner.

Different bikes have different ergonomics. sometimes instead of sitting up on the tank, and "shooting" into corners isn't the best for your bike. Some have a more lazy style and you end up sitting back more and steering with your back tire. With your back tire "drifting" you have more control because you have throttle, and brake control. With the front you only have brakes. Hope that helps

Ok so I've been trying to master these flat turns at a good rate of speed but my front tire keeps on washing out and I fall hard every time. Anyone got any pointers? The soil is kind of loose. I really want to get this down and slide through the corner.

In loose fast flat turns you need weight on the front wheel to keep it from washing out. This is easiest if you are standing (your bike IS set up properly for riding standing I hope), because your can lean WAY out over the bars and wag the back end this way and that with counter steering and throttle control. If it still washes, check your ride height. If it's too low you'll plow better than a John Deere.

I had a very similar problem with flat turns, but at a recent training course they helped heaps with my technique.

Get up over the front like others have said but as you lean the bike into the corner keep your weight on the outside of the bike.

When sitting have balls on the tank and your buttcrack right over the outside edge of the seat.

Hope I explained that okay, but it worked well for me.

simple solution is shift your weight to the outside of the bike and keep your body upright

• Like 3