Sign in to follow this  

How to : Fitting cbr600f4i wheels to an xr

i just got in my rear wheel and i have a front comming , so i figured i would document all the mods needed to make this work 

when i purchased the rear wheel i accidently goofed and bought an f4i rear wheel which is .5 inch wider then the identical looking f3 wheel , the good news though is it fits in the swingarm based on some quick measurements 

the f2/f3/f4/f4i wheels use an 20mm axle

so to fit theese wheels on the xr looks to be pretty simple , custom spacers to center the wheel, and a lil bit of machine work on the cush drive to align the sprocket

anyways ill post measurements and pics of every step of the way of me getting them on the bike  

i picked up this rear for 36$'s , and yes im going to strip the wheel and repaint it 

IMAG0498_zpscysjmncs.jpg

Edited by project89
  • Like 1

seriously why was this moved , sure they are going on an xr , but the procedure is the same for any bike hence why i posted it in general were ppl who normally wouldnt look in the xr section would see it 

What is the stock axle size on the rear of a 250R?  Is it a direct swap? 

No way the stock axle is that big. (I think lol)

It's going to be more challenging than that I think. ;)

Brake alignment for one.  Is the hub the same size?   

I had them on a 650L and they were gorgeous. Previous owner did the work and said it was a bit of a pita.  relative to skill/equipement I suppose.  FWIW

Edited by MindBlower

No way the stock axle is that big. (I think lol)

It's going to be more challenging than that I think. ;)

Brake alignment for one.  Is the hub the same size?   

I had them on a 650L and they were gorgeous. Previous owner did the work and said it was a bit of a pita.  relative to skill/equipement I suppose.  FWIW

being i have an older bike i will have some challenges but this will also make working around the brakes and such easier since i have a steel swingarm it will be easy to weld on braker caliper brackets and such

eventually ill get the aluminum swingarm and have to work on that a bit but since i want an extended swinarm with the turbo ill prolly leave the steel swinarg for this setup and the aluminum will be for when i want to put the dirt tires back on

im not sure ont he axle size but i do know my rear axle is pretty darn big so i know its going to be close  , i should have some solid measurements and pictures tommorow after lunch time 

XR axle =17 mm

Depend on the bearing size in your wheel you may only need some different spacers then it will fit .

R0018410.jpg

thanks , im going to be working on it today , going to see if theres a bearing i can swap in that has the 17mm id , if not it wouldnt be hard to make a spacer for the axle in the lathe that has a 17mm id and 20 mm od 

f4i on stock swingarm = to wide 

f4i wheel on stock swingarm extended 4 inches = perfect fit

instead of dealing with a spacer for the axle im going to machine myself a new axle 20mm in diam.

the narrower f3 wheel would be perfect, and its the tire that just rubs on the f4i not the wheel , but since i wanted to extend the swingarm anyways it all worked out perfect  

IMAG0010_zpsn0a66tqd.jpg

IMAG0009_zpsiiorafvm.jpg

IMAG0008_zpsrq2zgml0.jpg

just had one of those ohhh moments and relized i may be able to just stick an cbr600f4i axle in the swingarm , so i just ordered one from ebay for a couple of bucks , if it works that solves the bearing issue 

some of my cr250 front end arrives on saturday , so ill be able to measure and see if an f4 wheel will fit the front forks if not i know the identical f3 wheel does fit