Sign in to follow this  

Clicker setting for heavy rider on standard supsension

Hi,

Background: Vet rider, MX only, back-of-the-pack speed :)

I just bought a 2014 yz125, and while the bike is really fun to ride I can feel that the standard suspension is having a hard time coping with my 220 lbs. I know I should get it springed for my weight, but while I wait for the springs I might as well have some fun.

Right now all the clickers are set at the standard settings as per the manual, but I plan on playing with them the next time I go for a ride.

So, do any of you have any recommendations as to where I should begin? My initial plan was to harden the compression both front and rear...

You have the right idea. And there might be a small improvement made however without a respring and revalve you won't achieve a comfortable ride

Forks

Comp/ 8 out

Reb/ 10 out

Shock

Hs/ 1 out

Ls/ 11

Reb/ 6

Thank you guys, I will try these settings while I wait for the new springs :)

May I ask what the revalve does? I don't think my mechanic changed the valving when I had him change the springs on my YZ250F...

It helps control the oil flow through the pistons ,this makes the suspension stiffer/softer on compression or slower /faster on rebound ,valving can make it stiffer beyond what you can achieve with the clickers ,and it can make you able to get the clickers back into a usable range (ie 12 instead of 6)

One other thing you can do is to increase the oil height in the forks.  Start adding 10mm at a time and test ride.

@Mog: Ok, so if I a max out my clickers, I should ask for a revalve. Thanks :)

@bikedude987: Thank you for the suggestion, but this might be a bit much seeing as the new springs are already ordered :)

I got a chance to try the settings last weekend, and while it might not be perfect is was a wast and very noticeable improvement...even for a beginner as myself.

The long rolling "holes" down the straights went from being downright scary, to being fun. And the out-of-corner acceleration holes was also much easier to handle.

So thank you for the tips :)