Sign in to follow this  

Max power 285 vs Eric Gorr 295

Max power used to be over 1000$ and they are having a "special price" of 549 right now. Just trying to get people's opinions on which is the best value

I just built a 285 with a Max Power piston, a local 2 stroke porter did the jug for me.

I have the HP Bikes 295 setup and I like the 285 piston more as it was designed for a YZ 250 jug.

The pin height is modelled after a 250 piston where Gorr's 295 is not if you check Wiseco's site it's a generic 72mm piston for KTM, Suzuki, Kawi, Yamaha and either the top or the bottom of the jug needs to be cut to make it work.

I only have a couple quick hits outside of my house right now on the 285 so I can't really comment on the power difference.

We hope to ride next Wednesday so I will give a report next week.

This motor will be dyno'd soon and I will post sheet comparing it to HP's 295.

Edited by too much

I just built a 285 with a Max Power piston, a local 2 stroke porter did the jug for me.

I have the HP Bikes 295 setup and I like the 285 piston more as it was designed for a YZ 250 jug.

The pin height is modelled after a 250 piston where Gorr's 295 is not if you check Wiseco's site it's a generic 72mm piston for KTM, Suzuki, Kawi, Yamaha and either the top or the bottom of the jug needs to be cut to make it work.

I only have a couple quick hits outside of my house right now on the 285 so I can't really comment on the power difference.

We hope to ride next Wednesday so I will give a report next week.

This motor will be dyno'd soon and I will post sheet comparing it to HP's 295.

Thanks for the info! I'm most likely going to be sending my stuff over to either Gorr or Max Power tomorrow, so that does help a little with my decision.

As a note...I have no clue on who is the better porter between Max Power or Gorr as my 285 was done locally. I just like the 285 piston more.

Edited by too much

Well I shipped my stuff off to millenium technologies who has eric gorr mo betta 295 cylinders in stock. So my head and powervalve will be modified, and I will use my cylinder as a core. Turn around time is 2 days if you do a cylinder exchange, so I should have it back within a week or so!

For those of you that have done the 295 big bore kit. What jetting has worked best? I just got my cylinder and everything back from Gorr and am going to be putting it all back together but am not sure where to start with jetting or if I should try running it with the jets that are currently in it. I just don't want to hurt the motor.

For those of you that have done the 295 big bore kit. What jetting has worked best? I just got my cylinder and everything back from Gorr and am going to be putting it all back together but am not sure where to start with jetting or if I should try running it with the jets that are currently in it. I just don't want to hurt the motor.

Start with what you have now and go from there. On mine, I ended up going larger on the pilot and going smaller on the main.

That's what I wanted to do. Of course adjust my needle but I wanted to try the Jetting I have when it was just a 250. I just didn't want to hurt the motor at all. I also know add on effect all of that quite a bit also.

2001 kx 250 with the Gorr 295 big bore and port, boyesen RAD valve, fmf fatty pipe,

I had a 285 kit on a '05 YZ250 with a WR426 trans. The bike ran great but the 2nd to 3rd gap in the trans was annoying.  I sold the bike to a friend who installed the Eric Gorr 295 kit.  The bike has never run right as a 295 and the jetting is a mess.  We think that the problem is the head and he plans to send the head to RB Designs.  See post #394 for a discussion on this problem - http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/492565-yz250-squish-clearance/page-20?hl=.  Note that my Eric Gorr '03 YZ265WR exhibits the same issues and that head is going to Ron Black next week.  Lastly, my '03 KX200WR ('03 KX125 chassis with a '95 KDX200 motor) has the Eric Gorr 223 kit - yep, same jetting issues and the bike did not run any better than the stock KDX200.  I sent this Eric Gorr head to Ron Black and the bike was transformed into a great runner and was easy to jet.  I'm not saying that you shouldn't buy the Eric Gorr kit but be prepared to have the head reworked by someone else.  The problem with the RPM kit is the cost of replacement pistons. 

Edited by kenpowell

Ken, RPM pistons are only $190 which in my opinion is pretty good for a piston designed for a YZ unlike the Gorr 295 piston which is a universal deal.

I have a Max Power from when they were $1000 and it's running strong. Coating still looks great after all these years. I do prefer the o-ring as opposed to a gasket. I'm pretty sure I got mine in 09 but I'd have to check to make sure.

Craigus 

I'm not having any problems yet I still have to put it back together. I just wasn't sure if anyone could give me a head start on jetting but from the sound of it everyone is completely different and that I'll probably have to spend a lot of time messing with it.

I had to send my head back to him last year for his free head mod, cleaned my jetting problems up, under 1000 ft, 165 main and 38 pilot, yamaha lube at 50:1, rb modded and plated carb , runs clean without fouling plugs. Takes alot to get it jetted but once it's done the motor is real happy.

If you go with the Gorr kit and you know how to jet all you need to do is check the squish. If its off any local machinist can mill the .021 or whatever is necessary to get the squish close to .055. I always aim for that so if he goes a little far the head isn't ruined. My local guy did it for free the first time on my 02 and charged me $30.00 for the 2014 295 I just bought. Ditch the stock pipe make sure your timing is at .007 btdc go to a #8 slide and drop the main one. I have 2 full seasons of racing on my 02 and it hasn't lost one single pound of compression (239) you will have to tune from there but not much. I turned my 14 that I bought used with a 295 kit on it from an all bottom dog to a monster at all rpm ranges in 2 tuning sessions. Plus that "off the shelf " 295 piston can be replaced for $140.00. What does a Max Power kit cost?

Edited by StillSmoking