Sign in to follow this  

Ford starter problem

I have a 2008 f150. In the last week it has decided to not start. In the morning it starts fine. I drive to a job, and no start. It seems like when it is hot, it doesn't want to start.

I was pretty sure it was the starter, so i pulled it out. An hour and a half for the stupid top bolt, and a lot of swearing, but it is finally out. I took it to the auto parts store and they tested it. It passed, but it was cold. It seems like the problem only happens when it is hot. I tried jump starting when hot, and nothing besides a little click from the relay in the fuse box. I switched relays to make sure that wasn't bad. Any ideas? Matches and gasoline?

Sounds like the starter is at fault. I no this is a pain in the a$$ but to know for sure reinstall the starter drive it till it gets hot. You will need a buddy to help you with this test. You will need a DVOM a test light will not work it may light and still have a problem. The first step of the test is to check battery voltage then follow the positive lead from the battery to the starter check voltage at the starter should be the same as battery voltage. There will be three leg's on the starter the feed from the battery and the S terminal from the ignition switch and the solenoid the feed & solenoid post/leg will be bigger than the S post. Ok here's where the buddy comes in handy have him or her try to start the truck hold the key in the start position to give you time to test. Test the S post should have battery voltage if not you have a fault with the switch or the circuits. Test the solenoid if you have battery voltage or close to it starter is at fault.Hope this help's