Sign in to follow this  

650l headlight on a 600r anyone done tis? need photos

I just bought a xr650l headlight/ numberplate assembly and want to put it on my xr600 in place of the flimsy baja designs unit, it has a plastic bulb socket and isnt gonna last running 100w. can someone please post some photos of their 650L, how the headlight attaches to the forks, triples??? has anyone done this? thanks xrp

No, but I put a 2015 CRF250L headlight on my XR600R and its freaking awesome! I also wired the high and low beams to both come on when high beam is selected.

Is it dot? glass or plastic? how many watts?

BackwoodBomber... your bike looks pretty sweet in black, i was thinking about throwing a little more black @ mine next time something gets broken.

Also... I have a chance to pick up a cr500 front for $200... what's involved with that swap? I'm only tossing around the idea for now but it sort of falls into my "go fast, stop fast" philosophy under the comfort clause.

Edited by nailit69

BackwoodBomber... your bike looks pretty sweet in black, i was thinking about throwing a little more black @ mine next time something gets broken.

Also... I have a chance to pick up a cr500 front for $200... what's involved with that swap? I'm only tossing around the idea for now but it sort of falls into my "go fast, stop fast" philosophy under the comfort clause.

Usd swaps are not all that hard. I used 2006 CR125 kayaba forks, crf250r triple clamp and a crf 450 front wheel/axle/brakes. I will bump my build thread so you can see the details.

As for the cr500 front end, what year 500 are the forks from? The older ones may not be worth buying at that price.

Yeah i like the older red/ black colors... that white and pewter looks like crap after a few muddy rides the white plastic just seems to soak up the dirt.

you can run up to 1988 cr forks. 85 and older, are conventional and not worth swapping, they are the same as the XR forks except they have replaceable bushings.

86-88 were cartridge type, and the 88s were considered the best conventional forks ever made. supposedly, the pros preferred them over the new (at the time) Upside down type. they will go right into the XR triples. I think $200 is a little high unless they are rebuilt, or really nice, you can find them on ebay for 150. I just bought a set of 88s myself, should have them next week.

I have a set of 86 cr500 forks, but the brake hose mount is broken off, i have it either needs welded or i have heard you can use the xr tube and drill the lower bolt hole a little bigger for the cr insert.... ill sell em for $25 plus shipping.

ill look at the crf light, def needs to have a glass or metal socket and reflector, otherwise i think its gonna melt.

What I need is a photo of someones 650L, how the front number plate attaches to the front end.....please.....thanks

I just bought a xr650l headlight/ numberplate assembly and want to put it on my xr600 in place of the flimsy baja designs unit, it has a plastic bulb socket and isnt gonna last running 100w. can someone please post some photos of their 650L, how the headlight attaches to the forks, triples??? has anyone done this? thanks xrp

I think the 650L headlight mounts to the triples. You'd need to make mounting taps for your triples which don't have threaded bosses. I don't think you can just swap on a 650L top triple, as the two bikes use different diameter forks (but double check that).

Any problems with the lense or housing melting?

No, of course not. This is the exact headlight that is on every crf250l straight from honda, not some cheap aftermarket junk. A 55w halogen hi/low bulb is stock in this housing and that is exactly what i am running.

I suppose there may be a little added heat due to the fact that it is wired so that high and low come on at the same time for high beam but nothing has been getting hot to the touch.

well i got it figured out. Got a used headlight assy, top tripple, and some brackets ordered up. I should have some pictures soon......this one has a glass lens and a metal back/ socket so it should be able to take some heat.......

• Like 1