Sign in to follow this  

1986 Honda HPP exhaust valve service

Hi looking for any tips or help in regards to servicing and cleaning the Honda power port valves.  Been looking for a video on you tube but with no luck. Thanks for any ideas or input.

Do you have a manual? That bike is 30 years old now and I raced one so if I remember correctly the valves move laterally like the pistons in a boxer engine. They were used until 1990 if I recall so you might try checking on those years too. There would have to be a link arm connecting to them from the bottom end and some sort of a return spring. Perhaps you could google cylinder removal to determine how to remove the linkage. Take the hpp covers off (top & sides) and locate whatever "stops" the internal flaps on the outsides of the cylinder. Take photos as you disassemble it for later reference.

• Like 1

My 89 has hpp, there are 4 covers two tops and two bottoms. If ure digging round in there, you will need a gasket kit for all of em. a ball and ramp gizmo works off the water pump gear, a rod from it goes to a rack, the rack has 2 spindles, and runs up to the horizontal sliding power valves, now those valves are encased in valve guides, and from the top there are set screws on top of the spindles , take note of their orientation, if you don't it wont operate correctly, I believe the 8mm screw on either side of the side aeras hold in the valve and guides, those guides and valves must be cleaned and de-carboned, and lubed up! note- I had to grind off the face of the valves because they were worn and hitting the piston!, you best bet is to go to Honda and get a shop manual, you will need it!