Sign in to follow this  

RHC cams, ever a auto-decomp?

I've Eddies RHC cams in my Stroked DRZ400SM. This is some years back. Never could get the exhaust cam to turn over worth a damn, tried the big batteries etc and don't want to go to that place again. Ended up putting the stock ex cam back in place so I could start up and get to work!

The question is, did the RHC or an equivalent ex cam with auto decomp ever come to market? I'd like to pop that in if one exists.

I don't think so. However why not add the manaual decomp? It would mean finding an E head or sending yours out to be machined.

I don't have any plans to take the head off anytime soon so if I can't find a suitable cam I'll be leaving it as is.

My bike is also a 462cc bb-stroker with RHC cams . never had an issue , i even have the oem battery and it start's up right away .

Check your starter , i rebuild mine couple months ago after 4 years since my bike turned into a bb-stroker .

• Like 1

I too, have a stroker 470 with RHC cams. Never a problem with a OEM battery to start. Actually, it starts better than a stocker with a decomp. I too, rebuilt the starter motor when I did the engine, carefully turning the commutator and under cutting the mica, then arc the brushes to fit.

If you have a weak battery, weak starter motor or cam timing that is not correct, all can contribute to hard starting the a BB stroker and no decomp.

• Like 2

I have a grunty battery and I've serviced the starter motor. Timing is correct naturally. Starts effortlessly with the E-cam in, barely moves with the RHC ex cam. Go figure.

Does your RHC cam turn freely in the head when clamped in without valves and springs and buckets touching them? Have you measured the diameter of the clamping/bearing surfaces of both cam types? Have you line bored the cam journal and caps in clamped position for proper clearance of either cam set? Just a thought....

Yeah it turns free enough. Must be the pure compression.

Timing is correct naturally.

So you have checked cam timing with a  degree wheel? From your response above Im betting you are referring to gear teeth and crank position. ..  That is cam alignment with pre set timing.. Not really cam timing.   

• Like 1

Afaik the cams were set by Eddie so it only remains to set the teeth. At any rate bike runs sweet when started. It's just getting the sob started.

Afaik the cams were set by Eddie so it only remains to set the teeth. At any rate bike runs sweet when started. It's just getting the sob started.

1: Humans make mistakes.

2: Mechanical devices that are adjustable, come un adjusted without appropriate notice.

Rule #104 of Diagnosis is, when you fail to check a possible cause , after spending countless hours and thousands of dollars, you will find you considered and disregarded the actual issue months ago without actually checking.