Sign in to follow this  

Yz250 help

I have 99 yz250 I just got the bike not to long ago I have a little bit of a problem the bike doesn't want to idle unless I give it gas I have played with the idle adjustment on the choke I got it to where it's the best but I still stall out after idling for 30 seconds also the bike is smoking white I already drained the gas and put a new mix of 32:1 with yamalube I have read up on this and think it might be a bad crankshaft seal and possibly dirty reeds or a jetting problem I'm not sure also I put a new spArk plug in let me know what you guys think

There is a bit of oil but it's not very excessive. The bike is always going to smoke a little and have a bit of spooge. Is this your first two stroke?

The shade tree way is thumb over the spark plug hole see if it pushes air (not at all accurate) proper way is buy or borrow a compression tester (normally sold as a set) and it's pretty self explanatory from there. If you can change a plug you can work a compression tester. Compare your readings to the spec in your manual and voila should give you an idea of what shape the top end is in. Or you can just take off the exhaust and look at the rings and piston (again not very accurate but points to the right direction)

I'm assuming your air filter is clean, proper plug/gap, and you are running good gas of course.

Did you see the pictures is what's on the exhaust pipe look like a problem

I would not be concerned with that at all. If that gromet fit tighter you probably wouldn't have any spooge. 

Yes this is my first two stroke and yes everything is clean the spark plug is sized correctly and 93 fuel with 32:1 yamalube and thank you bospos I'm going to have to look into a compression test

Looks like advice in a good direction. Coolant level has not changed either? White smoke can be a leak in the head O-rings, compression check will reveal all leaks.

I haven't checked o rings yet but if anything sounds a little bog ish

is it belching oil out of the engine/pipe connection? mine was doing that and i found the o-rings missing. after replacing them it changed the idle and i had to adjust the throttle stop screw (the one with a spring on it).

is it belching oil out of the engine/pipe connection? mine was doing that and i found the o-rings missing. after replacing them it changed the idle and i had to adjust the throttle stop screw (the one with a spring on it).

The picture above looks like it