Sign in to follow this  

Bottom End Problems

Welp, I just got my new Rekluse Z-Start Pro clutch in today. I started doing tear down on the engine to get it installed.

I realize that I did not have to tear off the right side engine cover but I felt like I needed to have a look around in there. Last ride there was a lot of vibration and a LOT of smoke.. White to light blue smoke. So, I assumed the right hand crank seal needed to be looked at/replaced.  The vibration was so bad that my hands were hurting after about 20 minutes. After getting right side cover off, I find lots of ground up aluminum or metal, or some combination of both in the oil and inside the cover on the lower sections. Right away I notice the bolt that holds the crank drive gear on the end of the crank has backed off and is actually eating away the back of the clutch basket. The basket was the only thing retaining the bolt. I literally tugged on the bolt, and it came off in my hands. I then started looking at the crank seal, and it appears that it is starting to push out at the top, but is still flush with the case at the bottom. I ran my finger around the junction where the seal and case meet and sure enough the seal is proud of the case at the top. The seal has definitely moved since I pressed it in there 32.3 hours ago.  The threads in the end of the crank are chewed up, as are the threads on the bolt. Will need a tap to fix that, or a Heli-Coil kit.

I then grabbed the end of the crank and lifted up on it.. Yep.. There is play. It might only be .003" of an inch, but it is audible, and can be felt with a little "thud" when it stops as you pull it upward. The best news you ask? The clutch basket is shot as it is grooved, and the backside of the basket is chewed up from the bolt backing into it. What would you guys recommend as a good replacement clutch basket? I've heard that some have replaceable dampeners. I'd like that if it means a longer service life for the part.

I replaced every bearing in the bottom end of the engine to include crank, & transmission, 32.3 hours ago. It was a complete bearing kit as I wanted to do it right, and replace them all. Lesson learned. Don't cheap out on bearings. Go OEM or at least a well known bearing name brand. I could not find a complete kit from a well known distributor and bought a kit off Fleece-Bay.

Anybody want to join me for an engine thrash fest? I'll buy the pizza & beer and all you have to do is offer moral support. If I did not love this bike, I'd sell it and start with something newer. But, it's my bike, I broke it, and I'll poney up and fix it.

Need from you guys; 1. Suggestions for a clutch basket. 2. Suggestions as to whether or not to just buy a new crank, or attempt to run this crank with new bearings.

This crank was rebuilt by Ken O'Connor 32.3 hours ago. The crank had ZERO vibration when I put it in. I can only assume that the crank bearing(s) is/are bad and that is what is causing the vibration I'm feeling now. Yes, I will order Honda bearings this time, and both new crank seals, and collar.

Wow sorry to hear that. What a kick in the pants.

Check the rod just take sure there is zero play in it. If so, replace with a 2005-2007 crank. Bigger rod bearing & pin...tougher. if the rod is good, run a tap through. It should clean up easy.

Regardless of the condition of the crank, i would split the cases & thoroughly clean all the transmission bearings & internals. Those shavings will wreck havoc on things & have you back inside in short order.

Definitely go with oem on all bearings.

Barnett makes a sweet basket. It is a billet basket but has small steel inserts on the fingers of the basket. A grooved basket will be a thing of the past. It will also have a little smoother clutch action.

Edited by KPRacing

KP, thanks for the info on the Barnett basket. I'm ordering one right now.

Will also order new Honda bearings & seals, and yes, I will be splitting the case to get everything cleaned up, and to inspect the rest of those bearings that I installed. I will probably end up replacing more than just the crank bearings. Fun!

• Like 1

Wiseco eh? Will have to look at that one. Do you know if it uses replaceable dampeners, or do they simply harden it where the clutch discs contact it so that it can't notch?

Barnett is going to be the highest quality piece. They make pressure plates & inner hubs too. Those pieces also have steel contact points...no wear.

Wiseco is my choice over an over priced over rated hinson.

I only have experience with the stock basket and the Barnett, but the barnett basket and clutch plates are very good in my opinion. Very smooth clutch and even with the stiffer springs if feels lighter than when the clutch was stock with the same cable when it was new. My stock basket failed when the cable was about 3 hours old. As for everything else... man that sucks. Luckily you caught it when you did though. It could always be worse. I'm sure you'll have it up an running again shortly.

I installed the Wiseco, clutch basket in my 05 CR250 roughly 30 hours ago and have zero issues with it. I am very happy with it, I think it cost just under two hundred bucks and like said earlier, it has a lifetime warranty! Anything that I can put on my bike that has a lifetime warranty is a good deal, at least to me.

As far as the dampeners are concerned, it has a set of replaceable rubber cushions on the back of the basket. Sorry to hear about your bearings taking a dump on you, hopefully it is not as bad as you think it is.

Just purchased the billet Barnett clutch basket with replaceable stainless steel inserts;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Barnett-Billet-Clutch-Basket-Honda-CR250R-92-07-CRF450R-03-07-/111628764630?fits=Make%3AHonda|Model%3ACR250R&hash=item19fd97c5d6:g:9bMAAOSwpDdVEJOm&vxp=mtr

Now, on to new clutches.. If I'm going this far, I might as well go all the way. What fibers do you guys recommend?

The Z-Start Pro uses 8 friction discs (fibers) and I only have 5 right now with the EXp 3.0 set up. Don't want to buy 3 new fibers and run them with 5 old fibers so I will just get all new fibers.

I'm seeing that there are carbon fiber discs available. Does anyone have a recommendation of carbon fiber over standard discs?

Edited by Kawabuggy

Nice choice. I would also go with a Barnett clutch pack. Go with steel driven plates instead over aluminum.

KP my new Rekluse clutch comes with it's own steels that apparently must be used. I'm not sure if they are different thickness, or what the reason is but the instructions say that I must use the steels that come with the clutch. So, I only need the fibers. If I have to purchase a kit and use just the fibers, I will go that route.

Just wondering if the carbon fiber clutches will work well with the Rekluse. I would guess so.

Gotcha. I didn't realize you had a rekluse.

I have never used the carbon fiber clutch fibers but a friend of mine did. He was disappointed. The lifespan was short. It was in a built crf450. It could've been a fluke but normal fibers were installed & the clutch worked for a long time.