Rebuilding my 1998 yz400f

Hey guys,

So I am in the process of tearing down the top end of my yz400 and was wondering if I am going to take the top end apart does the motor need to be at top dead center? I believe this piston is locked up but am not positive but cannot get the motor to move and get it to top dead center. If it is not at top dead center when i take it apart, is it going to make for problems when I put it back together?

Thanks

Hey guys,

So I am in the process of tearing down the top end of my yz400 and was wondering if I am going to take the top end apart does the motor need to be at top dead center? I believe this piston is locked up but am not positive but cannot get the motor to move and get it to top dead center. If it is not at top dead center when i take it apart, is it going to make for problems when I put it back together?

Thanks

no but when you put it back together it has to be at top dead center

Depends on what you're putting together.  The only time it matters is when you're setting up the cam timing.  If it's stuck at or very near the bottom, it could make it fun to get the piston off, but if that were to happen, you can always just split the cases with the piston in place (you'd be needing a crankshaft anyway).