Sign in to follow this  

250RR and 3500RR tires

hey all.

so our bikes come with Michelin enduro comp tires here in Canada.

I believe the rear is a 140 80 18.... but Michelin dirt tires are sized different from every other tire maker.

what tire and what tire size are you guys/gals running

I am looking at the motoz

Be more concerned on the design of tire needed for your riding areas on your machine than the exact published size...

We all have many options no matter what types of riding conditions we want to play in...

We all have our special brands/models for our needs, provide us your needs and you'll get many options

BTW, tire topics are almost as good as oil threads, Lol! 

Edited by MarkBevans
  • Like 1

I don't think that you understand my question......

Michelin tires are not sized the same way as every other tire maker...

the OEM tire is Michelin enduro comp. 140 80 18

but I am thinking it closer to a 120 when I compare it to other brands..

I am asking every one what tire size the are running .....

I am not asking if they are running a hard or int or soft.

I am asking what size would come close to the same as the Michelin

Be more concerned on the design of tire needed for your riding areas on your machine than the exact published size...

We all have many options no matter what types of riding conditions we want to play in...

We all have our special brands/models for our needs, provide us your needs and you'll get many options

Sorry, you were asking "what tire" in your first post also opens up a lot of different thoughts. 

I swapped the OEM rear 140/80 Mich for a 120/90 MotoZ IT, same height, slightly narrower.

But with most brands, 2 different styles of tires from the same manufacturer can be different overall diameter and width....

I use a 110/100 or a 110/90. 120 imho is too big for both bikes. Michelin tyres are only funny sizes in the S12 the rest are normal. The std 140 is huge but its also a FIM enduro tyre with short knobs. I noticed a major difference in gearing and turn in with the 110 compared to standard. 

MM 

• Like 1

In a very lose conversion I read somewhere recently, a guy said to take your Michelin size, rob 20 from the first number and give it to the 2nd number and you will be VERY close to an equivalent conversion.

Example- Michelin 140/80 is 120/100 in our more typical sizing speak.

May not be scientific or exact, but will get you close.

• Like 1

Design of tire IS what you should be asking yourself. A 140 with soft compound and widely spaced knobs will give very different traction, handling and overall performance then say a 110 harder compound and closer spaced knobs. In theory a wider tire will reduced lean angle and climb out of ruts. Knobby design will make a 110 perform traction wise like a 140. Example is a Dunlop 606 with a 140 will not be as good offroad as a AT81 at 110 sizing, both Dunlop's but designed for very different end use.

• Like 1

Design, Design, Design...

According to a major manufacturer;

There are presently seven different standards that can be applied to off road motorcycle tyres from different countries (USA, EU ETRTO, Scandinavian, Deutsche Ind Germany, Australia, Japan, UK BSI).  They all say measurement is taken from the sidewalls (not the outer tread width).  They don't all say the same thing about the same size.   One major country doesn't even have a standard for a 100 series tires (so they vary from one brand to another).

There is a lot of incorrect information (especially on the internet) which has resulted in some myths being quoted and re-quoted as fact.  Here's an example.  Some people say tire sizing varies because some manufacturers measure from the outside of the tread, and others measure the outside of the sidewalls - this is rubbish.  Another one is Old metric and New metric.   For off road and MX, overall tread width (measurement from outer tread blocks that contact the ground) should be taken into consideration as well as tire section width (size marked on the tire - measurement of the part of the tire that inflates) - because the tread width will be wider than the sidewall...

LOL, 4 years ago I saw a 140 that looked outrageous, and thought that it would be killer for the heavy mud, LOL, later I found out that it was made for racing a KTM990!
Did not work well at all on my RXV550, total joke! And a fricking bitch to mount!

So getting back to my original reply, be aware that there is much more to choosing the right size than reading what is written on the sidewall...
  • Like 2

The only way to really tell is break out the tape measure when mounted. Or do my side by side and riding comparison.

I've tried all the different sizes of the rear RC81. 110/90, 110/100 and 120/90. Of all these the 110/100 works best for me. I started off using the 110/90 to get my 300 lower. It was really harsh riding and the bike handled really strange. I got a bunch of rides with it. Could never get used to the sudden "darting off the trail" feeling. 

file_zpsd3d25b43.jpg

Mounted the 110/100 on the Beta and it worked really well. Digs in and grabs in all conditions. Bike handles normal (for me) in fast and tight conditions. Not twitchy, yet bike turns with little effort.

I was getting ready for a really big extreme enduro event so I swapped the 110/100 to my 300 and tossed the 110/90 in the trash. Wow!! What a difference!! The 300 is dialed in just about perfect. Handles everything I throw at it and more!! This hill I've been struggling with over the years was made with very little effort!!

The 120/90 I mounted on the Beta while durable does not handle near as good as the 110/100. Turning is very slow and I get more tipovers than I would like. I'll be mounting a 110/100 when this one wears out.

Here is the 120/90 and 110/100 side by side:

IMG_0607_zpsyzre9gzd.jpg

IMG_0605_zps7ex2oj95.jpg

IMG_0600_zpsa8gaher9.jpg

• Like 1

Go to the Michelin website and look at the diagram as to how they size the 130 and 140s ... they translate very well to 110 and 120 in almost everyone else's book.

First off, you are misunderstanding what those number mean.

They are NOT tire size dimensions, as you would assume.

They are manufactuers designation for that brand and that model only.

This is because we have no idea from where the width measurement is being taken.

140 / 80 - 18 =

Tire width / Sidewall height as a percentage of tire width / rim size

Where are they measuring the width from?

Carcas, uninflated? Inflated Widest point on a narrow rim? Middle point on a wide rim? Widest point of the knobs? Inflated with a rider?

Too many variables to come up with a 'finite' measurement.

That is why a Dunlop AT- 81 120/100-18 is wider than a Dunlop MX-32 120/100-18.....because they are not meaused the same way on the same rim size, by Dunlop.

The only way to know for sure is to go to the website of that tire and read the dimensions, which are typcially associated with a 'given' rim size.

Oh, and by the way, if you ride dry hard or rock surfaces, you should try the Kenda Millville-2 rear tire, as it is amazing for that kind of terrain.

Edited by KRANNIE
  • Like 1