Sign in to follow this  

My 96 XR600R project

Heres what ive got sitting in the garage.

a 96 xr600r. It ran great until the choke plate broke and sucked into the cylinder. luckily the pieces bounced around only briefly before hitting the spark plug and killing the engine. that wa sback in 09 and it has been sitting ever since.

i also have an 05 crf250r. last year the rod broke into pieces and blew a couple holes in the cases.

what i am planning to do is swap the complete usd front end, as well as the fcr carb set up, over to the xr.

so far ive got the all balls bearings ordered up for the front end. is there anything i need to know other than be careful with the thin races, and file a notch for future removal if need be?

as for the fcr conversion, the 05 carb is a 37mm, but most threads on here people are using the 40mm form 07 or newer bikes.

should i start with the same needle and jet specs others are using with the 40mm, or does somebody have a better suggestion for a starting point?

ive already got the 650l insulator ordered up, and have a pm sent to jtf1307tie about one of his 3d printed adapters for the intake boot side.

i am in so cal, will be riding gorman, jawbone, randsburg, round mountain areas mostly. with a possibility of heading up towards mammoth once the snow clears, and MAYBE some glamis.

so, sea level up to about the 4500' elevation range. once dialed in the crf did fine with jettting anywhere i rode.

any input would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

Whelp, bike is in the shop hopefully getting put together this weekend.

Went with a 98mm ceramic coated JE piston from XRs only and has them bore to match. They also did my valve job with stainless valves and kibble white spring kit. Polished up the center cam journal and rocker arm faces. Carb is going to get fully rebuilt and dialed in properly with new ac pump parts, center gasket and jetting settings from here. I've got the 650l insulator and the 3D printed adapter for the air boot side. Also the front end will be swapped using the all balls conversion bearings.

A bit ambitious, but I'm hoping the mechanic can button it up and get the carb dialed for thanksgiving!

I had same problem when i rebuild my stihll chainsaw ;) choke plate sucked into the cylinder. Engine get &%$#@!t ,gone ;) hahaha

Dont really know much about carb, but anyway.. Good luck!!!

After being on the road for work and not really in a rush to get my bike back after he missed the big thanksgiving ride, I finally had a good chat with the mechanic today. Dude is a guru with fcr carbs, but this was his first XR conversion. He was completely stoked at how well the throttle response was and how well the bike pulled! It was also his first front end conversion and he is pretty stoked on that too!

He did say he has plenty of carbs laying around that could be completely rebuilt and would be perfect for projects! But I will get his approval before giving out info.

I should be back in town and able to pick it up next week!

• Like 1

Here is what the bike looks like now. It runs smooth, throttle if support responsive, and it definitely has solid torque geared at 15/45.

Going to swap the front to a 14 and see how it does in the dirt, should see dirty be end of the month!

1455159633796.jpg

1455159652627.jpg

1455159668554.jpg

1455159716089.jpg

1455159760266.jpg

• Like 1

Here are some pics of the steering stop pops and I whipped up. Took the forks off, drilled and tapped the stock stop. Fabbed up a little piece of aluminum to bolt it up from bottom side. Worked out pretty good.

1455598359841.jpg

1455598373111.jpg

1455598384334.jpg

1455598396427.jpg

1455598406118.jpg

• Like 1