Sign in to follow this  

RMZ/KXF250 front brakes on 2000 kx250

Tonight I mounted the front brake (caliper, line, mc) from a 2005 RMZ/KXF250. Everything fits fine and, at least in the garage, feels a lot more solid than the worn out and constantly needing attention stock hardware. We'll see how it works out on trail...

Tonight I mounted the front brake (caliper, line, mc) from a 2005 RMZ/KXF250. Everything fits fine and, at least in the garage, feels a lot more solid than the worn out and constantly needing attention stock hardware. We'll see how it works out on trail...

Keep us posted. My front is in need of some love and I think rather than a MC rebuild I will swap out for something off a newer bike.

what bike did you install this upon?

what bike did you install this upon?

2000 kx250. I had been thinking of rebuilding my stock caliper but found this one in like new condition (ebay seller claimed 30 total hours on it and it does look like it) for cheap so... ;)

• Like 1

I installed a 2006 RMZ 250 MC on my 2001 KX 250 and it was a huge improvement! I was running a late 90's Honda MC and it did improve but the RMZ MC made a way bigger difference! Please report on what you find

It'll work about a 1000x better.

At least mine did. Went from the most useless brake I've ever experienced to one that actually did what it was supposed to

Any particular years? I see you guys used 05 & 06. Will something newer work?

Also is it only 250f or will 450's work as well?

Edited by freeriders98

Any particular years? I see you guys used 05 & 06. Will something newer work?

Also is it only 250f or will 450's work as well?

I can't make a list of which ones work but the caliper bracket (14079-1097) was used on bikes from 93 - 09 so I'm sure there are a lot of calipers that would work. The pistons (43048-1095) in this caliper were used from 02-16.

Today's ride wasn't the best test as the trails are covered in leaves (and the trails are comprised of rocks so iffy to go fast...). That said, the front brake seems a whole lot better than the 2000 caliper with an 07 master cylinder.

I can't make a list of which ones work but the caliper bracket (14079-1097) was used on bikes from 93 - 09 so I'm sure there are a lot of calipers that would work. The pistons (43048-1095) in this caliper were used from 02-16.

Today's ride wasn't the best test as the trails are covered in leaves (and the trails are comprised of rocks so iffy to go fast...). That said, the front brake seems a whole lot better than the 2000 caliper with an 07 master cylinder.

Any more updates? You got back out for another test ride?

I was supposed to get out today but ended up being 'lazy' for riding and got some work done around the house and in the garage. I should be out on sunday.

My conclusion is that this was an awesome swap and well worth doing. Even with my short baby fingers using the front brake is an easy 2 finger operation. No comparison to the stocker...

• Like 2

I can also confirm that this brake still has some value on steep, rocky downhills even after you break most of the lever off... ;)

• Like 1