Sign in to follow this  

Right of Passage

Im interested to know the "right of passage" of people group.

In our group our "right of passage" is basically just saying you can hold your own and can ride on your own with out having to be supervised by one of the adults. we go on a guys ride once a day or once every other day depending on what the family situation is, and its pretty much just a solid hour of balls to the wall riding with no stops, i usually don't go below 4th gear, 3rd when i'm climbing.

Theres my parents, sister (22) and i (21), my uncle and aunt with there 3 kids (12,13,21)  and their oldest boyfriend (20), and then my other aunt and uncle with their two (5, 12).

I'm the youngest that can lead properly and on those rides you either keep up with me or fall off and ill circle back. Usually stephen (the 20 year old) can keep with me the entire time, the old men (dads) fall off because they get lazy. Its a right of passage in our family, once you can ride a guys ride all the way through without falling off you can ride in the back of the line or not at all. In the sand i ride off to the side and in the back with stephen when we do out family rides doing clean up.

Im excited because i think the 13 year old is going to try and complete a guys ride this year, he tried last year but couldn't keep up throughs the really tight and technical, and he would have known if i slowed down for him and would have gotten mad at me for not letting him earn it. 

You ride what ever you want, I'm on 2 wheels so is stephen, my dad takes his 350 2t, uncle G on his 330 2t, and Uncle E on his pumped 450 4t and we gauge him for speed and he's been 6th gear pinned before so i don't think we slow. 13 year old is on a 450 stock.

I completed a ride when i was 13 on my 310, and my sister did when she was 13 on the same bike as me, but she crashed when she was 16 and stopped riding hard after that. but she still will go on a family ride. She has been the only female to be able to do it, and if she wants she can be an incredible rider.

Im interested to know if any other families or groups have a "right of passage"

We find 'squid filters' where ever we go, trails, sections, hills, jumps, ect of different difficulty levels. The stuff that challenges the good riders, the less experienced riders won't even try. They get to sit and watch until all the fast riders have had there fun. The same goes for the more experienced riders when the less experienced riders want to hit stuff that is no longer challenging for the faster guys. From spot to spot, the faster riders have to slow to make sure everyone can follow. We've never had any problems with people not being able to maintain a decent pace, usually they figure out quickly they would be in over their head and they will break off with their more experienced friend from the group.

• Like 1

Cutting a snakes head off

my uncle would pass as a man in your group then, early may or so i think when i was like 9 we were in glamis and baby rattle snuck into our camp mid evening right as we started the fire and he hear it rattle and cut it in half with his shovel, speared it. then cut its head off, he wouldn't let me keep the head but i still have the rattle.

An older friend of mine long ago was telling us story's of growing up in a boys orphanage type school in Texas He's prob mid 60's now. He said there were two rites of passage all the boys did if they wanted respect.

1- run the length of a football field with a frozen hot dog up your ass Lol

2- they would work one day a week on a farm and when it came time to castrate the goats ..... You had to do the first one with your teeth. Yep he literally bit a goats nuts off.

He was real tough but nice man when I met him. I'm glad I didn't have to grow up like that but I sure respected and slightly feared him more after hearing bout his youth lol.

• Like 1

my uncle would pass as a man in your group then, early may or so i think when i was like 9 we were in glamis and baby rattle snuck into our camp mid evening right as we started the fire and he hear it rattle and cut it in half with his shovel, speared it. then cut its head off, he wouldn't let me keep the head but i still have the rattle.

That was smart of him cause the venom is still just as potent after death if you accidentally pricked yourself playing with it. Always thought it would be cool to have a stuffed rattle snake. Snakes in general fascinate me but creep the crap outta me at the same time. I have a real hard time touching em lol I'm a wuss

An older friend of mine long ago was telling us story's of growing up in a boys orphanage type school in Texas He's prob mid 60's now. He said there were two rites of passage all the boys did if they wanted respect.

1- run the length of a football field with a frozen hot dog up your ass Lol

2- they would work one day a week on a farm and when it came time to castrate the goats ..... You had to do the first one with your teeth. Yep he literally bit a goats nuts off.

He was real tough but nice man when I met him. I'm glad I didn't have to grow up like that but I sure respected and slightly feared him more after hearing bout his youth lol.

Sounds like a right of passage for becoming a dumbass... 

• Like 2

Sounds like a right of passage for becoming a dumbass...

Maybe you should run "the hot dog 1/4 mile"and see what ya think.... Haha

• Like 1

My first rides were all solo. I had bumper mounts for my dirt bike. I'd put them on the bumper of my grandmother Buick. She drove me to the riding area, would crank up the A/C and bury herself into the newspaper with WIN 1100 AM on the radio. Tw/three hours, I'd get back the car, load up and she'd take me out for a burger and shake. I was 11 or 12.

• Like 4

Maybe you should run "the hot dog 1/4 mile"and see what ya think.... Haha

I've seen some old timers do it. The castrating thing not the hot dog. They took a pocket knife cut the sack pop them out and pull. I wouldn't do it but they didn't think much about it.
  • Like 1

My first rides were all solo. I had bumper mounts for my dirt bike. I'd put them on the bumper of my grandmother Buick. She drove me to the riding area, would crank up the A/C and bury herself into the newspaper with WIN 1100 AM on the radio. Tw/three hours, I'd get back the car, load up and she'd take me out for a burger and shake. I was 11 or 12.

That's cool. My grandmas would do that for me but at the bmx track.

I've seen some old timers do it. The castrating thing not the hot dog. They took a pocket knife cut the sack pop them out and pull. I wouldn't do it but they didn't think much about it.

Come to think of it I was enlisted to help do that to one of my moms pigs once. They were all supposed to be females but one had nuts. Her friend came over who grew up on a farm. We threw that pig over a short fence. I held the back legs while he cut the sack n pulled em out about a foot in front of my face. The sound was literally deafening.... Never knew a pig could squeal so loud. I couldn't hear any thing till I woke up the next day. He put the balls on top of a trash can next to us. After I finished trying to wash the smell outta my hands from the death clamp I had on that pigs legs for 5 min. The nuts were gone ..... I was like. " mom, where are the nutz". She's like. " I threw em in the pen and he ate em .... Haha" . Dam mom. That's hilarious lol

For some reason I always thought of Cowboys (real ranchman) as being a right of passage. I knew a few when growing up and they were tough as nails with a no bullshit attitude. Riding a bull was always on my list as a right of passage...

• Like 3

Come to think of it I was enlisted to help do that to one of my moms pigs once. They were all supposed to be females but one had nuts. Her friend came over who grew up on a farm. We threw that pig over a short fence. I held the back legs while he cut the sack n pulled em out about a foot in front of my face. The sound was literally deafening.... Never knew a pig could squeal so loud. I couldn't hear any thing till I woke up the next day. He put the balls on top of a trash can next to us. After I finished trying to wash the smell outta my hands from the death clamp I had on that pigs legs for 5 min. The nuts were gone ..... I was like. " mom, where are the nutz". She's like. " I threw em in the pen and he ate em .... Haha" . Dam mom. That's hilarious lol

Pigs are loud I had a swine production class in college and we had to castrate a pig squealing is one of the most ear piercing sound I've ever herd. If you catch them young enough they don't squeal too bad.
  • Like 1

Pigs are loud I had a swine production class in college and we had to castrate a pig squealing is one of the most ear piercing sound I've ever herd. If you catch them young enough they don't squeal too bad.

I agree, a pig squealing is definitely one of the most ear piercing sounds. Watch the documentary Food, INC and listen to the pigs as they get squashed between two large metal plates. It will almost make you want to become a vegan... almost.