Sign in to follow this  

Crf450r slow?

Yes, you are missing 6-9hp.

Do most riders need more power? No

Is it noticeable? Yes

Can you still be competitive? Yes

I own a Honda I have ridden all other brands. They are stronger. Green orange and blue most noticeably imo. Not necessary in that order.

• Like 2

what sort of power are the other colours making with engine work?

I've got a done up 05. Stage 2 cam. High comp Piston. Barnett Clutch. Pc Exhaust.

Raced my brothers stock 09 in wet sand and it was dead on twice and he beat me once. Fml.

Edited by coryf89

I'm fairly new to MX and off road riding after racing on the track for quite a few years and the 2012 model definitely doesn't feel 'mellow' or 'slow' to me! I race a 190bhp R1 on the track with no TC too. I've seen the same comments and thought the same thing as you. 

Have owned an 09 & now own a 10 & have also ridden an 11 with a Yoshimura engine package.  By no means are they slow & the chatter mostly comes from the mx reviews along with social media.   I don't think any 450 is slow.   If anybody does they should be on the AMA national pro circuit.  There is probably a handful of pro riders that can ride a stock 450 motor to its potential.   I believe Andrew Short raced a stock 13 CRF450r motor in SX that year with just an exhaust & remap.   He placed 5th if i recall a couple of times before making the switch to the KTM due to lack of funding & support on the team.  

I looked around and it seems the crf450r is the most responsive to upgrades. One of Ron hamp's bikes got 70hp on stock cc. The most I can find in yz and kx forum is 60. Maybe just a lack of people trying it (because it's not practical to try and hang on to a 70hp beast) or the crf is just easier to squeeze out power.

Edited by Crf450r r r

I looked around and it seems the crf450r is the most responsive to upgrades. One of Ron hamp's bikes got 70hp on stock cc. The most I can find in yz and kx forum is 60. Maybe just a lack of people trying it (because it's not practical to try and hang on to a 70hp beast) or the crf is just easier to squeeze out power.

My theory is that Honda detunes the CRF450r from the factory so it can appeal to the general public & sell more bikes since that's their main agenda.  I've talked to a couple of engine tuners in the past about the 09-12 CRF450r motor & they've commented that it has a lot of potential.  I'm a vet rider so for me just a Yosh RS4 exhaust with a remap really broadened the power & added a little to the 10 model.  In stock form they lack up top & go flat so they got bad reviews from the mx mags.

Here's a dyno chart from one of the mx mags so you can see with just a little tweaking the 09-12 motor can come alive.      https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CB0QFjAAahUKEwi9zfrnyPnIAhXHK4gKHfXfDHM&url=http%3A%2F%2Fmotocrossactionmag.com%2Fbike-tests%2Fhonda-tests%2Fwe-test-2009-honda-crf450-exhaust-systems-dr-d-pro-circuit-fmf-yoshimura-vance-hines-and-stock-get-the-dyno-sound-and-powerband-treatment&usg=AFQjCNEoq-Os2S0mWGyb9UzayNYnx0-2gA   

Edited by H4L

My theory is that Honda detunes the CRF450r from the factory so it can appeal to the general public & sell more bikes since that's their main agenda. I've talked to a couple of engine tuners in the past about the 09-12 CRF450r motor & they've commented that it has a lot of potential. I'm a vet rider so for me just a Yosh RS4 exhaust with a remap really broadened the power & added a little to the 10 model. In stock form they lack up top & go flat so they got bad reviews from the mx mags.

Here's a dyno chart from one of the mx mags so you can see with just a little tweaking the 09-12 motor can come alive. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CB0QFjAAahUKEwi9zfrnyPnIAhXHK4gKHfXfDHM&url=http%3A%2F%2Fmotocrossactionmag.com%2Fbike-tests%2Fhonda-tests%2Fwe-test-2009-honda-crf450-exhaust-systems-dr-d-pro-circuit-fmf-yoshimura-vance-hines-and-stock-get-the-dyno-sound-and-powerband-treatment&usg=AFQjCNEoq-Os2S0mWGyb9UzayNYnx0-2gA

My phone says it's an invalid url. Can't

See the chart

Here is one of Ron hamp's dyno charts (with big bore)

http://www.thumpertalk.com/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=266746

Edited by Crf450r r r

I have a 2014, and yes it is slow. and its not the good kind of slow. I ride the same track 3-4 times a week all summer on my 06 yz250. Picked up 14 honda 450. There are parts in the track i cant pull in 3rd that i can on the yz. I always feel in between gears on the honda. 

Hopped on a few other new 450s, from stock to wild. I have no idea why honda built such a weak motor for the honda. Its gearing is out to lunch stock and can't pull anyone over 160lbs around the track with authority. I tried everything on the stock bike, short shifting and abusing clutch NOT A GOOD IDEA., revving it out but power goes flat. Its a great bike but the power is lacking. everywhere. If i had todo it again, yzf, ktm, kxf hands down.

Alot is person preference, I like a 60hp 450 that always has more power than you need.

to fix the newer hondas IMO

PIPE

REMAP

CAM

PISTON

GEARING

or throw a cylinder works 478cc kit on (ping loved it!) and its a ripper

• Like 1

I have a 2014, and yes it is slow. and its not the good kind of slow. I ride the same track 3-4 times a week all summer on my 06 yz250. Picked up 14 honda 450. There are parts in the track i cant pull in 3rd that i can on the yz. I always feel in between gears on the honda.

Hopped on a few other new 450s, from stock to wild. I have no idea why honda built such a weak motor for the honda. Its gearing is out to lunch stock and can't pull anyone over 160lbs around the track with authority. I tried everything on the stock bike, short shifting and abusing clutch NOT A GOOD IDEA., revving it out but power goes flat. Its a great bike but the power is lacking. everywhere. If i had todo it again, yzf, ktm, kxf hands down.

Alot is person preference, I like a 60hp 450 that always has more power than you need.

to fix the newer hondas IMO

PIPE

REMAP

CAM

PISTON

GEARING

or throw a cylinder works 478cc kit on (ping loved it!) and its a ripper

There really is no way You are serious about the yz250 feeling faster right? My brother has a yz250 2008 and it's an absolute slug. My old crf150rb felt faster than it. Edited by Crf450r r r
  • Like 4

Ya I would have to agree the yz250 is a pretty slow bike.  My good friend that I always ride with has an 07 yz250 with a pro curcuit pipe and I have a stock 06 crf450r and my bike pulls his bike 10/10 times anywhere.  I've never ridden a fi crf450r but I always hear the power is super smooth, so maybe the fi crf450r feels slower because it doesn't have a harsh powerband.  

Edited by 96motorhead

I own the crf450 in question and i think one of the only 450s possibly the only one in the world to make 70hp at stock ccs. The honda is the cheapest to get good power out of. The goal was 70hp with stock displacement. 68hp was easy to get. To get the extra 2 hp to crack the 70 costed me the same if not more then to get me to 68hp. The engine was pulled apart and put back together 3 times and heaps of different pipe combos, cam timing, injector angles ect. Probably 150+ dyno runs on 5 or 6 different occasions. 70hp was not easy to get but it is doable.

The same bike is now a 501cc and its currently 72hp. Trying a different cam and head as we speak to try push a bit more out of it.

Can i use 70+hp? No of course not but its still been fun to build

I own the crf450 in question and i think one of the only 450s possibly the only one in the world to make 70hp at stock ccs. The honda is the cheapest to get good power out of. The goal was 70hp with stock displacement. 68hp was easy to get. To get the extra 2 hp to crack the 70 costed me the same if not more then to get me to 68hp. The engine was pulled apart and put back together 3 times and heaps of different pipe combos, cam timing, injector angles ect. Probably 150+ dyno runs on 5 or 6 different occasions. 70hp was not easy to get but it is doable.

The same bike is now a 501cc and its currently 72hp. Trying a different cam and head as we speak to try push a bit more out of it.

Can i use 70+hp? No of course not but its still been fun to build

Wow I would love to ride it! It must be an animal! You could probably make money charging people for a ride ha. How much did it cost to break 60? Edited by Crf450r r r

You could make 60 with mild port work remap and the pipe that i got. Throw a cam in it and you got 65+

I got a dual megaphone set up. Sounds unreal!

You could make 60 with mild port work remap and the pipe that i got. Throw a cam in it and you got 65+

I got a dual megaphone set up. Sounds unreal!

What about jemco? Or would it need custom dual megaphone? Edited by Crf450r r r

13-14 stock mapping was bad (lean) and low rev limit. A vortex wakes them up limiter is 500 over stock and fuel mapping and timing  is really good . Has maps for pipe, motor work ,race fuel,or make your own.

Edited by galligar
  • Like 1