DRZ462E 39mm Slant slide tuning curious

I built a 462 with an ACT trans for trail riding, mini adventure trips & my jetting is way off what I've read others are using with simular combinations.

It's 12-1 comp, std size valves, mildly ported head, stage two hotcams & MRD/SSW exhaust (too friggen loud)

I started with  a 45PJ, 160 main with an OCEMP needle 3rd clip. It would fall on it's face WFO & it was too rich at idle. Dropped to a 158 main & a 42 pilot, will now pull WFO, idle still rich, plug is cinamin brown, I just dropped to a 40pj, 155 main & dropped the needle to 2. It fires up cold, no choke instantly. I still need to test ride, but throttle response is good. Float level is set at 9mm. It does have a Vortex air box.

The bike runs very, very strong, but rich,

Edited by LT1coupe

It sounds like your build is giving you really good vacuum.  Smaller jets in the same carb vs increased motor displacement is to be expected.

Is this an original E FCR carb?  

Is the CE intact or removed? If removed, how so?

What are the pilot air jet(s) sizes?

You might try a stock DXP needle at -4

A 150 main jet would not be out of line

• Like 1

Yes, it's the original carb with the CE unbolted & ports plugged with JB weld.

It's a mild engine compared to the Super Moto guys, power is very much like a 7/8's scale XR650R, awesome bottom & mid range (but revs much faster) which pulls the ACT trans very nicely.

I just went to a 40pj & preset the needle at 2 turns out. It fired up instantly no choke ready to ride, so I'm still rich.

I wll ride it around the hood later today to evauluate the 155 main & dropping the needle to position 2.

As a baseline, it seems almost everyone was running the stock 45pj & the SSW 462-470 engines were almost universally running the OCEMN or OCEMP needle 3rd clip with a 160-162 main. I may try a different needle, but it runs well top to bottom. No bogs or stumbles anywhere

Edited by LT1coupe

I'm 148pj 155main dxp(can't remember the clip)

it's good(on the rich side a bit) everywhere except in high rpm since I still have the stock exhaust.

I tested it with a wideband O2 and it was good for me.

cinamon plug: I wouldn't touch it from there.

You did not provide the pilot air jet size that is in the air intake side of the carb.  Original is 60. it needs to be 100 to use the 45 pilot jet.  If it is still 60 you may need to go to 35 or 38 pilot fuel.  My recommendation is to change the pilot air jet to 100 so you can use a 45 pilot fuel jet.