Sign in to follow this  

Smart Carb successful installs

Hello Everyone.

Im hoping to hear from anyone who has successfully setup a smart carb on their YZ.

Im not sure if APT went under or not but I see they dont list there carbs on the website? 

Anyhow I purchased a billlet model way back when but never got around to getting it installed. When i ordered the carb i ordered a whack load of parts to mod my 2004 YZ 250. It ended up being a ground up rebuild. So when i finally got er together i had to much on my plate to try and dial in the Smart Carb. My real intrest in this carb is to get away from jetting. I live on Vancouver Island, so riding starts at about just above sea level and ends up 1500ft + pretty quick.

So far motor wise I have dropped a complete 2001 wr 426 transmission into my bike

added a Athena 293 big bore

wiseco crank

wiseco billlet clutch 

boyseen rad valve, water pump

11 0z flywheel weight

pro circuit platinum 2 pipe

currently have the reed spacer removed as the boyseen rad valve is bigger then the stock.

same problem as the apt carb with the air boot.

Im hoping someone might know what throttle cable would be a good bet for this setup as my stock cable is a bit short.

I read a reference somewhere to using a yz 125 boot to help with the apt carb clearance issue?

Any thoughts?

Edited by westcoastwizzard

There's a massive thread about SmartCarb installs from a couple years back.  I posted the Motion Pro cable number that I used in that.  If you can't find it via the search, I'll see if I can dig it up. 

I had a great experience with the SC on my YZ.  It took me a bit to get all the air leaks corrected, but once I did it was crazy powerful.  

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply kingkabong

I wanted to start a new thread as the old ones are so full of personal opinions and fluff. Its hard to sift through to find anything of worth.

debating this carb is not what im after. just straight up install information and how it has worked

hopefully there is at least a few out there.

I used to follow a huge thread on ktmtalk about the SC and last I saw there were SOME issues with the tip over balls/one way check valve or something.  If you fell sometimes they would stay open or closed, cant remember.  Other then that the reviews were mixed on them with some opting for the lectron instead.  I'm sure things have only improved on them but the buzz about them isnt what it used to be.

I've got a SC on my '03 Athena 295cc.

I was able to use my stock throttle cable, if that helps at all. Like kingkabong said, once dialed in, it's crazy powerful! The Top-end never really seems to stop pulling!!

That top end pull is so crazy.  It really seems to pull until you let off.  I was shocked.  So much fun.

• Like 1

I also like my 38 cast SC and consider it a very good purchase.  Great bottom and top, with smoooooooth progression all the way up through the range.  I was Dual Sporting with my buddy last weekend, he was on a new orange 450 and I was on my 295 with dirt wheels and gearing.  After riding for a while we rode over to the gas station and topped off.  Both used 1.4 to 1.6 gals to top off the tank.  FI vs. SmartCarb, 2 stroke vs. 4 stroke.  And I know I am powersliding through every corner where he is not.  Its not sceintific, but comparable gas mileage to a new pumpkin, that is pretty dang cool.  So yah, I like it 

The boot issue never became a problem, it did rub and I also removed the carb spacer

Edited by chrispick

That top end pull is so crazy.  It really seems to pull until you let off.  I was shocked.  So much fun.

You hear/feel the bike pulling, and pulling, and pulling, and pulling................................. and you know you should just stop letting it pull because it goes against all convention!!! Truly, it just never seems to sign off.

I did have some tip-over valve issues, which Cory fixed for free, but other than that, no issues whatsoever.

Hello Everyone.

Im hoping to hear from anyone who has successfully setup a smart carb on their YZ.

Im not sure if APT went under or not but I see they dont list there carbs on the website? 

Anyhow I purchased a billlet model way back when but never got around to getting it installed. When i ordered the carb i ordered a whack load of parts to mod my 2004 YZ 250. It ended up being a ground up rebuild. So when i finally got er together i had to much on my plate to try and dial in the Smart Carb. My real intrest in this carb is to get away from jetting. I live on Vancouver Island, so riding starts at about just above sea level and ends up 1500ft + pretty quick.

So far motor wise I have dropped a complete 2001 wr 426 transmission into my bike

added a Athena 293 big bore

wiseco crank

wiseco billlet clutch 

boyseen rad valve, water pump

11 0z flywheel weight

pro circuit platinum 2 pipe

currently have the reed spacer removed as the boyseen rad valve is bigger then the stock.

same problem as the apt carb with the air boot.

Im hoping someone might know what throttle cable would be a good bet for this setup as my stock cable is a bit short.

I read a reference somewhere to using a yz 125 boot to help with the apt carb clearance issue?

Any thoughts?

I have a 04 model also, I'm trying to get idea's on how to make it work  better and look better.... can you post a few pics of your bike? do you know any mods I should look into?     right now I think I'm going to get some light speed fork guards, cr brake pads and line...and some graphics, thinking of updating the plastics but idk I kinda like them... just trying to get some ideas. Its a lot of people that are happy with the smart carb, wish I could try one but its out my budget right now.

Edited by yz250474

My bike is in pieces at the moment but I can upload a current pic later this week when i get er back together.

As you can see i did a full tear down on my bike.

If anyone knows the overall length of the metering rod for the yz 250 smart carb setup id love to know. Also a better throttle cable

cheers

20130922_164454.jpg

20140623_174005.jpg

20140625_194904.jpg

IMG_20141114_110528.jpg