Sign in to follow this  

Dirt bike idle issue please help

Hello I have a dirt bike 110 cc and I've got a problem with the idle on it when the bike is cold I always have to tighten the idle screw to get it started but when it gets warmer the bike will idle way too high and then I have to loosen the screw I have to do this every time and I've recently took out the whole carb and cleaned everything in it the carburetor is a VM 22 mikuni and it doesn't help if I use the choke

Edited by Majd Alhasan

Tune pilot circuit , too lean

Use the choke till bike is warm doesn't work , does the choke do anything?

Edited by Swes

When you remove carb check to make sure your choke works, it should be a plate that covers the airway. If it wasnt clogged, Your pilot jet is way too lean, replace that. Try giving a few squirts of throttle before starting the bike.

My carb doesn't have a butterfly for a choke and I checked the spark plug many times and its always a rusty brown color could it still be lean some how

Could making the pilot jet bigger work because it seems to be running optimally

You choose pilot jet size ONLY by where the fuel screw settings are finalized.

You turn the screw out for highest idle. This number of turns tells you if your pilot is the right size.

Less than one turn, it's too big.

More than 2 it's too small.

Yes and no. Turn it in and the back it out 1 1/2 turns. From there you make adjustments to the air screw till the highest idle speed is reached.