Sign in to follow this  

KTM PLASTICS?

I'm getting ready to replace the plastics on my 2002 300EXC and am looking for opinions or experience with aftermarket (Acerbis, Polisport, etc..) versus OEM plastics.  There isn't a huge price difference but I was thinking of mixing up the colors which are easier to find aftermarket, and was wondering if any of them are stronger, better fit, etc.  Thanks for any advice.

• Like 2

I'm getting ready to replace the plastics on my 2002 300EXC and am looking for opinions or experience with aftermarket (Acerbis, Polisport, etc..) versus OEM plastics.  There isn't a huge price difference but I was thinking of mixing up the colors which are easier to find aftermarket, and was wondering if any of them are stronger, better fit, etc.  Thanks for any advice.

Not positive but I believe Polisport makes OEM plastic for KTM.

I have had really good luck with UFO plastics on my bikes, they always seem to fit really well and the quality is good. I have tried Acerbis but haven't had the best of luck with fitment and color matching so I tend to avoid them. To be honest, I like the embedded graphics on the stock shrouds, so if I were to do it I would probably buy the OEM shrouds/decals and UFO everything else.

I haven't tried polisport yet, have heard good things.

• Like 2

+1 on the graphics being a part of the shrouds. I bought a set of aftermarket polisport plastic for my bike and the fit and finish wasn't nearly as nice as oem. Polisport does make the oem stuff, but tolerances could be different?

• Like 1

In 2002 they didn't embed the graphic into the plastic. Did they update the OEM plastic from those years with embedded graphics??

If so, I'd definitely get OEM shrouds. The embedded graphic is awesome and then you don't need to buy expensive graphics.

My buddy bought some Polisport and it looked very OEM and best of all is sturdy bendable plastic. I feel like Acerbis just snaps clean off!

• Like 1

I buy the polis port kit from rmatv, the whole dang thing is $99,yes a little more brittle I believe but a better overall value.

• Like 1

I bought Acerbis because it was the only full kit that came with the airbox. Paid $109/shipped on sale at Amazon for the full kit. The rear fender showed up orange, not white, as shown. I wanted Polisport but no airbox available for my bike from them.  Cycra had some good features & the unique number plate with added fork protection but no airbox available. I couldn't find a full UFO kit. Some whites are an arctic/blue white & some are true white so I didn't want to risk mix & matching brands at the time.

The Acerbis fit but not without some stretching & tweaking. I opted to drill & install the two "optional" screws in the airbox side cover for better alignment. The push-in friction springs had to be shimmed to fully seat too. Might be better to use the factory airbox replacement then match with another brand? The original embedded factory plastics I removed fit like a glove. Not sure what I'll do next time around but will most likely mix & match with some factory embedded shrouds & airbox.

• Like 1

The color match, fit and strength is very good amongst the aftermarket brands, in my opinion. I prefer Acerbis over UFO and Polisport because they are a long time supporter of Enduro racing (longer than UFO and Acerbis) and they also included the side-cover washers on my YZ radiator shrouds and side panels. I don't have specific experience with the 2002 kit. I know that Acerbis is an OEM supplier, and Polisport might be too, to a lesser extent.

Every time I put even the cheapest new plastics kit on my old scoot, I always think: "Wow, that was overdue and looks great!". No matter what brand you buy, you will too. Post some pics and let us know how the install goes.

Edited by Swappa
  • Like 1