Sign in to follow this  

Anyone Here Ever Convert a KLX140 to a DS?

My wife just sat on a brand new 2016 KLX140 today and it fit her 5' 3 1/2" height perfectly.  She might get it as a learner but was told that it could later be transformed into a dual-purpose machine.  There is a kit or kits and DOT approved dual tires available for this.  Has anyone done this?  How did it work out?  I know it's a bit small for the street but it would just be used on mostly gravel roads connecting OHV trails and the short five mile trip to town on country back roads.  We tried all of the smaller DS bikes but they were all way too tall for her.

Hi Seldom Seen:

We're thinking about doing the same thing for my 5'4" wife.  Thus far, not much response in my thread concerning same here:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1132764-klx-140l-wbaja-ds-kit/

Question: Are you looking at the 140L or the 140?  The 140L has the 19" front wheel and 16" rear wheel. The 140 has smaller wheels.

Vinduroman:

Deb can flatfoot the KLX140 but her knees are not bent at all so the L might be less confidence inspiring for her.  She liked the weight too.  They have the same frame so the Baja conversions would probably work for either.  I talked to a tech at Baja yesterday.  He said that the kit they have (up to 2012) will work on a 2016 if you move the OEM switch to the left side of the handlebars.  That way the new switch will work on the right side.  That's the only difference.  They also have a speedometer for $149..  The following website has an engine conversion that raises the displacement to 160cc: xr100.com/klx140.htm It's for 2008-2012 engines but I would ask them about this.  Don't forget mirrors and DS tires.

Deb also sat on a Yamaha XT250.  It was ridiculously tall for her but I sure like it.  I may just get one for myself next spring unless lured away by the beautiful retro Suzuki TU250X.  

Edited by Seldom Seen

Hi again Seldom:

Understood on the difference in height between the 140 and 140L fitting your lady better.

I figured as much on the kit fitting the span of years that have transpired since the Baja Kit advertisement was placed. Mirrors and DOT tires are a given, as well as a speedometer.  I have tagged several dirt bikes over the years and have learned to leave no stone unturned. Fortunately, it's a straight-forward process here in OK where I live.

As for being lured by the TU250X:  Shame on you!  Just remember that the XT250 can go anywhere the TU250X can go... but can also take you places the TU would never, ever, be able to take you!  Between those two options, it would be no contest for me: The XT.

Actually, I tried a bit of pure street bike riding from Nov of 2007 up until a short time ago via a couple of Harley's. Though I found things I enjoyed about pure street riding... it just doesn't hold a candle to the joys of being able to hit the dirt.  I haven't been without a dirt-capable bike since 1969 (except for a few short months) and fully intend to own and ride one until I can't ride anymore.  I'm currently aboard a 2012 WR250R, with my older Honda XR250R (tagged) waiting patiently in the garage for a call back to duty.  So far the magic button is winning concerning the choice of bikes.

I'll have all winter to think about it.  If I can sell my 1969 Fiat 124 Sport Spider between now and then, I may just get both.