Sign in to follow this  

Tray Rack, with Reinforcements?

http://www.discountramps.com/black-widow-motorcycle-carrier/p/MCC-500/?CID=PSC-PLA-Google-MCC-500-motorcycle-carriers&st-t=google-motorcycle-carriers&vt-pti=61813390163&vt-k=&vt-m=&CAWELAID=820562990000013570&CAGPSPN=pla&trkid=V3ADW216784_14162770462_kwd-61813390163__58309309462_g_c_pla_&gclid=CLuplvHj-MgCFUVffgodtPQDIw

These racks are low-priced and easy enough to load a bike.  But they sway like crazy and seem to have the potential to break right at the hitch area. With 250+lbs of bike swaying back and forth on that rack, it becomes a large lever arm with torquing on the 2" square tube.  I've seen most say it just take time to get used to but I'd like more stability.  

I have an idea.  If two additional steel tubes were welded onto the bottom of the rack, one at each end, with a 2 corresponding mounts welded onto the tow hitch, then the rack would be much more stable. 

Anyone thought of trying this? Its seems like it could be done with decent welding skills or a body or muffler shop could fab something up. 

Just thinking....

Edited by holybike

I used a rack like that for a couple years, had the same issue, never really trusted it. However, I had a couple of 90degree brackets made up, bolted them to my bumper so that the ramp was resting on one at each end, worked well, when the ramp wasn't on my truck, though, I would often get it in the shins while walking around the truck. This topic came up a while back, and a guy used tie-down straps somehow to lash the ends of the ramp to the roof of his SUV to stabilize things, don't know if it worked

I used a rack like that for a couple years, had the same issue, never really trusted it. However, I had a couple of 90degree brackets made up, bolted them to my bumper so that the ramp was resting on one at each end, worked well, when the ramp wasn't on my truck, though, I would often get it in the shins while walking around the truck. This topic came up a while back, and a guy used tie-down straps somehow to lash the ends of the ramp to the roof of his SUV to stabilize things, don't know if it worked

You have any pics of your set up?

The dude with the straps, that could work, just some extra time. Although it won't keep it from bouncing up on rough roads. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Steel-Motorcycle-Scooter-DirtBike-Carrier-Hauler-Hitch-Mount-Rack-Ramp-Anti-Tilt-/231340754092?hash=item35dcfbc4ac:g:PhgAAOSwwbdWLrBo&vxp=mtr

This rack is pretty cheap price. Add some square tubes to the ends and it'll be a very solid rack for under $150, depending on metal and fab costs. 

Edited by holybike

You have any pics of your set up?

The dude with the straps, that could work, just some extra time. Although it won't keep it from bouncing up on rough roads. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Steel-Motorcycle-Scooter-DirtBike-Carrier-Hauler-Hitch-Mount-Rack-Ramp-Anti-Tilt-/231340754092?hash=item35dcfbc4ac:g:PhgAAOSwwbdWLrBo&vxp=mtr

This rack is pretty cheap price. Add some square tubes to the ends and it'll be a very solid rack for under $150, depending on metal and fab costs. 

When I read about using the straps on each end, lashed to the roof, I thought it was pretty clever. I think if done correctly, it should work fine. Sorry, no pics of my set-up, that was well over 20years ago. The brackets were "L" shaped, with the long part bolted upright to the bumper, and the shorter portion of L would stick strait out. There was 1 on each end of my bumper, lined up perfectly with my upper shin, just below the knee