Sign in to follow this  

Building an MX track. Help

Any tips on how to build a mx track, if any one has any experience that would be great. I have all the machinery such as a dumper, loader and tractor and looking to build it on my farm for me and for mates. What would be the best earth to make the jumps and berms with dirt or gravel? Also any tips or info cheers.

If you know how to use all that equipment you own, it'll come natural to you. One good thing is if you don't like what you just made, dozer it away and try again

If you know how to use all that equipment you own, it'll come natural to you. One good thing is if you don't like what you just made, dozer it away and try again

yeah what do you reckon would be best dirt or gravel?

yeah what do you reckon would be best dirt or gravel?

Don't know what soil types Australia has, in Massachusetts, we have all types. Once I learned to ride sand, I'd prefer sandriding over other options. Sand isn't good for making jumps, though. My second favorite soil type is dark loam, clay is good jump-making substance, holds up well to erosion, but is like concrete when dry. Whatever you use, it's nice to keep the rocks out of it if you can

You'll be all set then. I find gravel too rocky but makes a great base. Build the jumps mellow at first and make the take offs smaller than 1.5 bike lengths long till you get a good feel for it. There's tons of info out there on what to do and how to do it. Dirt works and track builders have good info.

If you do a search in this very section of TT, you'll find that there are 1,000's of threads on this. It is asked nearly once a week since Moses came down off the mountain, wondering if there was any other single track.

Its almost an art, track designers spend a lot of time working on a design to make sure it flows and is fun to ride. The biggest issue my buddy had was getting the jumps right, the angle of the ramps and length have to work together with the speed you will have at that point on the track. Do a search and youll find some tips but imo its a trial and error thing. If you dont like it knock it down and try again or make small some adjustments.

• Like 1