Sign in to follow this  

starting a drz with no battery at all

hey, drz400sm 2008 running fine.

i have a question regarding the battery itself.

if i install a kickstart kit, then remove the battery completely, will the bike start?

what needs to be done with the battery wires? connect to each other? leave disconnected?

Not 100 % sure how the rectifier/diodes work on the DRZ but on a car alternator, you do need a battery

in the circuit. It regulates the output of the alternator. Otherwise the alternator output spikes.

I have a cut-off switch on my classic car and occasionally disconnect the battery while the engine is

running. I have seen the voltage increase to 19V before. Luckily I have no electronics but I'm sure

the DRZ ignition module will not like 19V..

Again not sure how the DRZ alternator/stator works - maybe other people can chime in.

If you are worried about weight, you can get really small/lightweight batteries.

Gerry

DRZ400 will kick start and run with no battery although not always very well.  It is a permanent magnet rotor so it does not need any field current from an outside source to get charging started.  But as William said, a capacitor is needed to make the system happy.  NO you would not connect the battery cables together.  That would just short out all alternator power produced.

hey, drz400sm 2008 running fine.

i have a question regarding the battery itself.

if i install a kickstart kit, then remove the battery completely, will the bike start?

what needs to be done with the battery wires? connect to each other? leave disconnected?

Keep it connected it acts as a ballast.

It will start. The stator output is pretty good even at idle. More than enough to keep everything lit. It's a pretty easy bike to push start.

doubt it, but as said, i would just leave the battery in there even if it gets old and dead .. it tidies up the wires and the electrical circuit will stay as designed .. the 'gains' from removing it would be pretty much nothing imo ...