Sign in to follow this  

Inner clutch basket

Oh boy :/ can I get a little longer out of it?

Sure you can. If this is an old rat bike that you really have no money in and isn't worth putting money into, put it back together and ride it for as long as you can.

See those chatter marks in the inner hub and the outter hub fingers? Those are the contact points of the plates and discs. A person can prolong the life of the inner and outters by carefully draw filing those chatter marks and divots before they get too deep. Yours look like they are worn beyond that fix.

Edited by Trailryder42

Well it's not really a junker hah I'm currently just doing too and bottom end on it. New crank. Just trying to save a bit

Well it's not really a junker hah I'm currently just doing too and bottom end on it. New crank. Just trying to save a bit

Taking a closer look, they may yet benefit from filing. Basically, you just want to knock the tops off. Trying to file out the divots (low spots with the rest of the surface) completely can result in too much play and clearance issues with the plates and discs.

yikes...

long lotta low idling is my guess...

my 300"s pretty loud when idling,,, jeez wonder what my basket looks like...

you get the chunks outta the motor???

yikes...

long lotta low idling is my guess...

my 300"s pretty loud when idling,,, jeez wonder what my basket looks like...

you get the chunks outta the motor???

Probably why he is doing a new bottom end...

Ok I'll try filling thanks! The bike is new to us so not really sure what happened with the clutch there wasn't any chunks in the bottom when I took it apart. I did notice it shifted rough into first gear. It would lurch ahead then stall.

You could probably get away with cleaning up the marks on the clutch basket, but that inner hub is finished, I wouldnt ride the bike with it like that if it was mine.

All these cat skins are great ideas, my skin says to file the outer basket and inner. The inner will be fine, all the load is distributed over the whole spline of the basket not just the two or so splines that are affected. It's hard to explain how to file the basket but it takes finesse and attention to detail on every stroke to ensure an even surface and to not change the angle that is present. The inner basket is going to take patience and time. Grab some beer if your old enough and a couple buddies to take stabs at it. The inner basket I would start with some 80/100grit paper with like a Popsicle stick and just go one tooth at a time. The bummer is when your done give it a once over with some 220 and you should be good as new on the surface finish. The outer after filing I would go over with some 220 and just go around once to smooth out the surface. Here's one I did. ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1446785575.198675.jpg

Not many ppl know how to machine or have acces to a mill but most ppl have a cordless drill and drill bits. Where I slotted mine drill 3-4 holes on every fin about 1/8" or 3/16" diameter. Will make a big difference in smoothness and fade!. Drill one small hole on the inner basket in every Chanel/ spline. Can't see it in mine but I did that as well. Good luck.

Edited by Dexter42
  • Like 1