Sign in to follow this  

Bike Work / Technicals

Hello Guys , First Off im just getting into Motocross , I recently Purchased a 2004 Rmz 250

Carborated , Kickstart.

I have none of the equipment and very little experience and i came here seeking advice , i was wondering where the cheapest place too get gear would be , Also i was wondering some upgrades i can do to the bike considering its old and will most likely have a little trouble keeping up to the newer bikes. The bike runs mint and was just freshly rebuilt , If you guys have any advice and know good places to get gear then please let me know , i also dont know what gear i need so any advice down below would help greatly! Thanks!

If you are in CT as your location states then make your way down to Rt 25 power sports in Monroe. That place used to be the spot to get anything and everything, its slower now but they still stock plenty of gear and are helpful as long as its not too busy  :smirk:

I won't get on a bike with out a helmet, goggles, gloves, boots, knee pads and riding pants. I also don't ride without a jersey, but i don't consider it an essential. You may also consider a chest protector.

As for aftermarket parts, the reality is you will be learning how to ride. The bike is already plenty fast, you have to learn how to ride it. Any money you spend is best spent on maintenance and track time. Oil changes, keeping fresh tires, air filter, chain and sprockets, seals ect.

• Like 1

+1 what tranny said. Basic protective gear, maintain your bike to Oem spec. Keep your suspension fresh. As a beginner, spend your money on seat time. The bike has more potential than most riders can match.

Check craigslist for gear. Most of my gear is 2nd hand. Get a good quality helmet and riding boots.

Edited by Dirt Addict

Hello Guys , First Off im just getting into Motocross , I recently Purchased a 2004 Rmz 250

Carborated , Kickstart.

I have none of the equipment and very little experience and i came here seeking advice , i was wondering where the cheapest place too get gear would be , Also i was wondering some upgrades i can do to the bike considering its old and will most likely have a little trouble keeping up to the newer bikes. The bike runs mint and was just freshly rebuilt , If you guys have any advice and know good places to get gear then please let me know , i also dont know what gear i need so any advice down below would help greatly! Thanks!

How big are you? Lots of guys here have spare gear laying around that some would be willing to part with cheap. Myself included. 

As far as pants jerseys gloves, look at online stores, motosport, rocky Mountain atv, bto, etc, and look in the clearance section. They usually have last year stuff for a good price.

If your on Facebook, look for a mx Facebook group in your area. People are usually willing to part with older gear for cheap.

Carborated , Kickstart.

where in Connecticut are you from