Sign in to follow this  

Making a shock longer

Hi all,

I didn't find an adequate suspension forum on TT for street bike so I'll ask here - it could be a general question anyway :)

I'm looking into fitting a shock from another bike (CBR600F4) to my bike (CBF600). Model's are probably irrelevant. I'm lacking 5 millimeters in the F4 shock. It is 305mm, and my target length is 310. Because of mounting constraints (I don't have clevis on CBF, shock is mounted directly to frame), I reckon the only way to achieve the 5 mm gain in length is by making a shock longer eye to eye. Is that possible by modifying internals? I have access to machining tools.

Thanks,

Bruno

5mm isn't much.  Depending on what kind of top out bumper there is you could probably shave a few millimeters off of it.  Have you taken the shock apart?

I haven't purchased it yet, but am one click away - I wanted some sort of confirmation first. So besides shaving off a top out bumper, anywhere else I could take a material off? Is moving the whole stack upwards a viable idea?

B

Edited by bbatarelo

You're limited by how long the shaft is.  You can revalve with fewer, thicker shims to get the same damping with a shorter stack which would allow a spacer between the top out washer and the shaft.

It really depends on what that shock looks like inside.  Its possible generally speaking but you'll have to go hands on before you'll know for sure.