Sign in to follow this  

Serious Development happening on Italian MX bikes

tm.jpg

http://motocrossactionmag.com/more-stuff/mid-week-report/pro-taper-presents-mxas-mid-week-report-by-john-basher-24   (scroll down, don't forget to check out the KTM 550 2 stroke!)

I am surprised to see the tank under the seat and airbox moved up. Big front brake. KYB's. A adjustment of mapping based on which gear you are in.

These should all result in better performance.

These guys have had plenty of good MX and Enduro results.

I hope it stimulates the Beta guys to keep raising their game. I'd like to see Beta (and Sherco) offer MX bikes too. They basically already have what they need to appeal to another 50% of the market. Hybrid XC bikes are the 1st thing KTM sells out of. 

Edited by Johnny Depp
  • Like 1

Beta, sherco, gas gas ect just don't have the budget for a 450 mx bike... 2 strokes are simple... budget can be small to make a competitive 2 stroke enduro bike. In order for Beta or ect to make a serious run at a competitive mx bike there budget would have to be massive, and they would still be 10 years from ever having a bike worth racing (professionally) In my opinion the eruo brands are where they need to be, KTM made a run at MX but I am sure there budget for supercross alone is 2x the amount that Beta makes on sales in a year... 

As much as I hate saying it, What wins on Sunday sells on Monday. Just no reason for Beta to even attempt a MX bike... Mx is very color based, if you grew up on a Honda, you buy Hondas, and so forth. Only thing that changes most MX riders minds is which bike is winning. Japan can build a good, fast and cheap MX bike easier than anyone else... I am a fan of KTM yes, but there are still plenty of Jap bike followers, that believe in the no e start "mans" bike. I just don't believe there is room in MX for a new brand (without Honda type funding)  

• Like 1

I don't think a big race team is needed. Just offer an alternative bike (like the older '12 Cross Country). The market is more Vet than Pro.

Get rid of all the electrical except e-start. Lightweight battery

Spec the best forks and shock sprung for a 200 lb rider with longer wishbone.

Strip the chassis of kickstand and skidplate and chain protector etc.

Larger front rotor.

FMF silencer.

Map switch.

Holeshot device.

Golden Fat tire front and soft terrain rear.

Done. That's what the Race Edition should be anyway.This can be done with $0 development cost or Retail increase. Offer it in all 2 and 4 stroke displacements. 

If you want some buzz add the Rekluse 3.0 clutch pack only and Twisted Engineering bars for $500 more. (Be the 1st to market and reinforce your brand philosophy)

Extremely competitive, especially on the showroom. 

Edited by Johnny Depp

The trouble with mx bikes there is such a big hoola about whats winning when we know the winning is not always the best bike (charmicheals boat) .Also who can buy a winning mx bike what i mean is a winning mx bike is normally more after market than standard .Sometimes the rider makes the bike !! I think beta are doing what they can and being realistic the extreme enduroand riders like  cody webb are a good match ,the beta company is relatively small and they can realistically only produce so many bikes per year so with that in mind they are only competing at events where they compete with what they have availlable .. i think people are realising its not just about mx any more the sport has grown and they only need a small part of it to be successful .. that being said i would still like them to give it a go .I feel there is a cetain amount of excitement surrounding beta i myself though never really seen one in the flesh find myself wanting one so more power to them ,,..

Many riders select bikes based on the attributes they want and need for multi use. (KTM XC range).

A good review by MXA can sell a lot of bikes for years and get brand exposure even if you don't win shootouts. (Gary Jones , MXA test rider, won several races on a '15 Beta 350 RR bone stock) You cannot call your bike Cross Country and expect it to make the MX shootouts regardless of how it runs.

TM took their bike straight to MXA and will get invaluable feedback and exposure right away.

Beta has power delivery covered. (There are many stories of factory riders going faster after de-tuning their engines power delivery, Barcia the most recent example)

Beta has a Big Bore (and niche engine sizes) no one else offers (Vet class has no engine rules) and a 6 spd.(KTM doesn't) with E-start (jap bikes and KTM 2 stroke/TM don't yet).

Beta also has really good suspension (with bad setup stock for MX)

Beta has a beautiful well developed steel frame (other Jap brands are rumored to be developing them and I see it as a drawback to TM)

Beta is a total sleeper bike, most people have no idea how quickly they can hustle around an MX course, and do it for lap after lap not wearing you down.

A good MX bike transfers over into a good Offroad bike and visa versa. Beta and Sherco have 2 of the best enduro bikes already. Trade some enduro stuff for performance. Viola!

Edited by Johnny Depp

📎tm.jpg

http://motocrossactionmag.com/more-stuff/mid-week-report/pro-taper-presents-mxas-mid-week-report-by-john-basher-24   (scroll down, don't forget to check out the KTM 550 2 stroke!)

I am surprised to see the tank under the seat and airbox moved up. Big front brake. KYB's. A adjustment of mapping based on which gear you are in.

These should all result in better performance.

These guys have had plenty of good MX and Enduro results.

I hope it stimulates the Beta guys to keep raising their game. I'd like to see Beta (and Sherco) offer MX bikes too. They basically already have what they need to appeal to another 50% of the market. Hybrid XC bikes are the 1st thing KTM sells out of. 

Dave at Get Dirty is selling these TM's. I think he will be racing one next season along with the Beta. It should be a good comparison. Of course I think it will be offroad and not track....